I've never played the game.... but many do

-
A friend of mine was a legendary local street racer. Used to make more money proving he DIDNT have nitrous on his Vega, than he did racing it. (Would pull the intake, prove no nitrous, make em pay).
Eventually couldn't get a race in the San Gabriel Valley, had to go to San Diego to find a suck, er, a race.

in my street racing days? 318 with a 4bbl and headers, i'd gladly lift the hood and let ya look till yer eyeballs bled. you ain't finding nothing to the contrary.

these days? it's just a 318 is all i say. i don't need to get into a conversation about why it's not a 340 and how i should have a 340 because it's the motor that's supposed to be in there; or that your sister's boyfriend's best friend's 2nd cousin had the fastest 340 in the tri-county area and beat all the big blocks from springfield to wassanassa and back again with just a double pumper and a single plane.

in my street racing days? 318 with a 4bbl and headers, i'd gladly lift the hood and let ya look till yer eyeballs bled. you ain't finding nothing to the contrary.

these days? it's just a 318 is all i say. i don't need to get into a conversation about why it's not a 340 and how i should have a 340 because it's the motor that's supposed to be in there; or that your sister's boyfriend's best friend's 2nd cousin had the fastest 340 in the tri-county area and beat all the big blocks from springfield to wassanassa and back again with just a double pumper and a single plane.
Kick azz!

A friend of mine was a legendary local street racer. Used to make more money proving he DIDNT have nitrous on his Vega, than he did racing it. (Would pull the intake, prove no nitrous, make em pay).
Eventually couldn't get a race in the San Gabriel Valley, had to go to San Diego to find a suck, er, a race.
Boyd?

A heck of a sharp guy = Drove his Vega and Nova everywhere around So Cal.

I wonder if he is still around, I have not seen him for 20 years or more anywhere?

"Just tell them it's a 318, they'll never know....." a common response here, and all over the webs. I've never played the game. Is it to make the brand of Mopar look awesome? Is it to make themselves look awesome? My 360 is a 360, and I'll never tell the chevy guy it's a 273. It's usually the other way for me, they accuse my 318 of being a 340 or something. If I believe in my Mopar, then I'll let it speak for itself.

What's your take on it ???????? :realcrazy:

I called it as it was. 64 Barracuda, 4 speed, 273. Too many configurations to count, same 273 shortblock with 10.5 TRW forged pistons. Never any power adders. Never asked to race, but would oblige when asked and never for money. A lot of time I would not race if I would slaughter them, but if they insisted, the Barracuda would just walk away or fly past them like they were standing still. To be honest, the fast guys knew what they had and what it would do. Not much interest for them in beating a 273 Barracuda. The most memorable was against a 68 383 Road Runner 4 speed. I could not catch him after his great launch, but he could not pull away either. I felt pretty good about the Barracuda at that point. If only I had the 340 heads, intake, and TQ on back then...

I wonder if he is still around, I have not seen him for 20 years or more anywhere?
He's driving a dirt brown four door omni, with a five-speed and a turbo 2.5.
Looks stone stock, (except for good front tires) low sevens eighth.
Put five axles in it before he found something stronger.

Last edited:

He had two 67 novas for a while, a fast one, and a "slow" one. Made five times as much money with the slow one
"283, 3 speed stick (knob!)two barrel, tiny single snorkel air cleaner, single exhaust to the bumper, greasy engine, hasn't been apart in years"
Hi compression 406, 4sp, 500cfm holley race two barrel, bottom of the a/c completely opened up (invisibly), big 2 1/2 exit manifolds with concealed dual exhaust.
17 second looker, would go low 12s.

I called it as it was. 64 Barracuda, 4 speed, 273. Too many configurations to count, same 273 shortblock with 10.5 TRW forged pistons. Never any power adders. Never asked to race, but would oblige when asked and never for money. A lot of time I would not race if I would slaughter them, but if they insisted, the Barracuda would just walk away or fly past them like they were standing still. To be honest, the fast guys knew what they had and what it would do. Not much interest for them in beating a 273 Barracuda. The most memorable was against a 68 383 Road Runner 4 speed. I could not catch him after his great launch, but he could not pull away either. I felt pretty good about the Barracuda at that point. If only I had the 340 heads, intake, and TQ on back then...
I don't race for money either, never have. Only raced for fun and the enjoyment of the hobby. That usually saves the lying, cheating, tempers, sabotage and enemies.

I never raced for money but I never backed down either. Won plenty of times, and lost my share too, but always had fun.
There was one guy that got to be the most annoying pain in the *** because he could never accept that his car was not as fast as mine. Both cars were nearly identical 1966 Ford Galaxie 500 2 door hardtops, but I had a very healthy 351C under the hood and a set of 3.50 gears with a Traction Lok in the back, versus his '429 Police Interceptor' that was probably nothing more than a mid 70's smogger motor out of a station wagon, and no idea what he had for gears. He was truly a sucker for punishment though, we raced half a dozen times one night and he never even came close. Every time after that when I would see him again he always wanted to run, so I would run him once and that was it, until the next time. That old Galaxie wasn't the fastest thing around, but it held it's own and I had a lot of good times in it.
I was racing an 80s Camaro Z28 one night in one of my fox body Mustangs when I snapped the shifter handle going into 3rd, had him beat up to that point, snapped the same bolt a second time before I drilled them put and put grade 8 hardware in.

My first 1970 Dart had a .030 over 318 with J heads and factory cast iron 4 barrel intake with a thermoquad, and it surprised a lot of people, just a beat up, rusty old Dart, but it was actually pretty quick for the day.

When they look at my bracket car and ask questions, I tell them it's big inch small block and that's all. If I end up in the lane next to them, I usually am able to prove that.

Someone once told me they LS swapped their Hemi Jeep Comander, so I played along and did not call out his bs, and bs it was because he was not trying to joke when showing me the engine. This guy thinks I did not know the difference, it seems like that he thinks that telling people that he has an LS will give him more street credibility or something.

No matter how fast you are there will be someone faster, never cared about winning or losing.
A buddy of mine said when he got beat first thing he did was shake the guys hand.

Back in the day (80s) I would tell guys that the 440 in my Plymouth was a low compression 440 with a cam which it was that made 300 hp. Now it made the 300 hp but it made closer to 550 at 6400 rpm with 550 tq at 4500 rpm with it’s 9.5 CR.

We only run for the money, got no strings attached!
We take all the action we can meet.
(Springsteen)

That is what paid my way thru college and supported me for many
years.

There is still plenty of action to be had in Vegas area and a fortune still
changing hands on a regular basis.

My boy still does now and then.

You better bring a full size/Street legal/Small tire low 4's eighth mile car that can run
straight down Broadway and hook anywhere OR you will be heading Home =
Broke and Embarrassed!

It used to be in the 60s/70s, a $1,000 race would be talked about all month.
Now they race for ten times that much regularly.

Last edited:
I don't race for money either, never have. Only raced for fun and the enjoyment of the hobby. That usually saves the lying, cheating, tempers, sabotage and enemies.
This is exactly why I left that part of back alley racing behind. It got way too stupid and nasty. I don’t need this in my life. I never raced for money ether. To dang broke to bet on it much less the lier in the other lane. I couldn’t afford to go fast enough to compete with the crowd.

Like yourself, I do it for the fun of it. The making friends and trading tech, the bench racing! You know the saying! You’re not having fun you’re doing something wrong. Getting into the money end of it takes all the fun out of it when you’re on the street. It is my ch more simple on the track. Basic rules apply. Heads up, red light looses, the lights say who won, no excuses, you said you were ready and won/lost and that’s that. Cry somewhere else. Pay you/pay me, we are done.
Someone once told me they LS swapped their Hemi Jeep Comander, so I played along and did not call out his bs, and bs it was because he was not trying to joke when showing me the engine. This guy thinks I did not know the difference, it seems like that he thinks that telling people that he has an LS will give him more street credibility or something.
Just trying to be part of the hip crowd on the current craze.
He needs to be part of a club/crew/popular thing rather than being alone and independent or part of a smaller crowd. He doesn’t like to be alone or the odd man out. He doesn’t want to hear the BS talk and ridicule of “How expensive a MoPar is” or why he pays so much for parts when a LS/Chevy is cheaper and could save money.

I don’t go for that line and just tell people I’m running what I am because I want to. If it’s too expensive in your eyes, that’s fine. I just wanna run this. I’m good with my choice.
(Springsteen)

years.

You better bring a full size/Street legal/Small tire low 4's eighth mile car that can run
Broke and Embarrassed!

I’ve seen 20K change hands. I just wondered to myself what they did to earn the money (outside of racing victories) and what I needed to do to get THAT job.

Never got THAT job. LMAO

Last edited:
I e seen 20K change hands. I just wondered to myself what they did to earn the money (outside of racing victories) and what I needed to do to get THAT job
You can sometimes smell it on them, they either sell the illegal substances or their breath smells stinky.

(Springsteen)

years.

Broke and Embarrassed!

In the sixties, $1000 was a third of a new car! (New roadrunner, about three grand!)
Now, $10,000 might get you a third of a toyota camry.

You can sometimes smell it on them, they either sell the illegal substances or their breath smells stinky.

Or something about them that has you looking at the dark shadow around them or they’re just exuding a slimy skin or demeanor.

In the sixties, $1000 was a third of a new car! (New roadrunner, about three grand!)
Now, $10,000 might get you a third of a toyota camry.
Oh yea man! 1,000 then was big bucks NO DOUBT!

My little Barracuda says 273 on the back... but if someone at a Gas Station asks "does that have a Hemi in it? I say Yes.

-
Back