I've never played the game.... but many do

-
In the sixties, $1000 was a third of a new car! (New roadrunner, about three grand!)
Now, $10,000 might get you a third of a toyota camry.
Back then?? 1000 bucks is big bucks to me now!!! :D :D :D

I always tell the truth.
When I was young I beat a 73 mustang with a 302 on about an eight mile road race in a 225 super six volare..

That guy told everyone who would listen I was running a v8. I guess he was pretty embarrassed. But the car was fine. He just couldn't drive and cars don't handle well with air shocks keeping the rear-end way in the air.

I always tell the truth.
When I was young I beat a 73 mustang with a 302 on about an eight mile road race in a 225 super six volare..

That guy told everyone who would listen I was running a v8. I guess he was pretty embarrassed. But the car was fine. He just couldn't drive and cars don't handle well with air shocks keeping the rear-end way in the air.

Depends on the crowd.
In my early street racing days, liar, liar, rear tires on fire!
Since I’m not street racing. Truth be told.

"Just tell them it's a 318, they'll never know....." a common response here, and all over the webs. I've never played the game. Is it to make the brand of Mopar look awesome? Is it to make themselves look awesome? My 360 is a 360, and I'll never tell the chevy guy it's a 273. It's usually the other way for me, they accuse my 318 of being a 340 or something. If I believe in my Mopar, then I'll let it speak for itself.

What's your take on it ???????? :realcrazy:
I shouldn't have to say anything with a big 340 callout on my fender. Yet they still pull up beside me and ask what I have in it since it's shaking. lol.

Not too many people, mostly the young ones probably ever heard of a 340 I guess?

"Just tell them it's a 318, they'll never know....." a common response here, and all over the webs. I've never played the game. Is it to make the brand of Mopar look awesome? Is it to make themselves look awesome? My 360 is a 360, and I'll never tell the chevy guy it's a 273. It's usually the other way for me, they accuse my 318 of being a 340 or something. If I believe in my Mopar, then I'll let it speak for itself.

Your right this is a stupid game played out for years. I street raced in the 70's and remember it then

I've told this story before, but my '66 Coronet 440 poly 318 2 barrel routinely whipped gm 350 powered cars.
In fact, for 2 seasons (1985 to 1986) it was undefeated by any gm product on the street.

Because of the heads and wide intake manifold, almost every race loser that asked to see the engine (to which I almost always obliged, because, hey it's a stock 318 2 barrel) claimed that it was a big block (despite the tiny BBD 2 barrel).

At least one pointed to the fender emblem and said "It's a 440, it even says so, right there".
I always wondered if they thought Coronet 500s and galaxie 500s had a 500 inch engine, or what engine a Rambler "770" had.

...and I remember hiding nitrous lines inside the radiator hoses among other places.

Well...might be guilty 'cause when we put the stripe package on the avatar, I couldn't resist keeping the 340 emblem intact with the package. But I did not put them on the fenders by the Demon name.

20240727_140852.jpg

I don't think anyone thinks this is a "real" 340 car as it has a glass 6-pack hood.

20240127_121644.jpg

Last edited:

Tell the truth, no BS.

Well...might be guilty 'cause when we put the stripe package on the avatar, I couldn't resist keeping the 340 emblem intact with the package. But I did not put them on the fenders by the Demon name.

View attachment 1716281869

I don't think anyone thinks this is a 340 car as it has a glass 6-pack hood!

View attachment 1716281870
I'm for badging the car as you wish, clones, or whatever else one thinks looks good. I just don't get into the sneaky petes, or stating a 100 less cubes than what's really there. Running NOS, if I was going to say anything about it I would just say it.... "360 on a 150 shot".... or big cubes? I'd just say it "400 stroked." Or in the very least, I'd just say "I don't talk about it... and let them assume anything they want".

I hear ya. Racing on the island was lots of fun, I ran mostly on 231 in babilyon and Islip. sometimes in Centereach. When guy wanted to run for big money I would tel them to put up their pink slips. My 69 Chevelle was a big block 396 that's all I would say with a 4 speed no mention of what kinda clutch and yes it had gears never told them what size. It was a 488 Dyana. My yard looked like a used car lot. LOL

-
Back