Jam nuts on adjustable /6 rockers????

-

Bill Dedman

bill dedman
Legendary Member
Reaction score
My partner backed the Valiant out of the garage, and noticed that it imediately started running rough. He took an infra-red temperature sensor gun and discovered that the #1 cylinder's exhaust manifold runner was 150 degrees cooler that all the rest. He then pulled the rocker cover and saw that the #1 exhaust rocker arm's adjustment screw had backed completely out, which allowed the pushrod to fall out of the lifter. The lifter had bounced completely out of its bore and was lying on its side, above the lifter bore.

An examination of the pushrod and lifter face showed no damaage, but, we were lucky.

The question is, would it be possible to install some thin, correctly-sized jam nuts on the rocker arm's adjusting screws to make sure this doesn't happen again?

Has anyone ever seen this tried?

Any information will be appreciated...

Thanks in advance...

Never done it on a slant, but I have on other applications. It worked well.

Personally I would get a new rocker arm !!The screw is held in place by what is called an interference fit which means that the female end gets a tighter fit than the first few threads !Or,LockTite the rascal !!Just my .02

Personally I would get a new rocker arm !!The screw is held in place by what is called an interference fit which means that the female end gets a tighter fit than the first few threads !Or,LockTite the rascal !!Just my .02

Well, we had a bunch of good, used rocker arms, so, we just took your advice and replaced it.

Thanks for your input!:D

i used a set of isky adjusters from a Hemi that have a jam nut...

work great and never fall out of adjustment...

BUT

they are a little on the long size so call them and see if they have the same ball size with about .250 shorter...

although with your cam it shouldn't be an issue... only one hit the breather baffle

I've squeezed the rockers in a vice to keep that from happening. You have to be carefull not to squeeze too much or you won't be able to install the adjuster. If you have an extra rocker, just replace it.

-
Back