JC Penney Lifetime battery.

-

VOETOM

Reaction score
Just had to get a new one finally today from Firestone. Original one lasted from 1979 till 1995, next one from 95 till 2003 or so, next one from 03 till 2010 and this one from 2010 till 2021. Glad I bought that battery!

Last edited:
Just had to get a new one finally today from Firestone. Oriignl lasted from 1979 till 1995, next one from 95 till 2003 or so, next one from 03 till 2010 and this one from 2010 till 2021. Glad I bought that battery!
I have one of those I bought originally about that same time in 1979. Still have it in my 69 Charger but haven't run that car since about 1993. Will go try to get a new battery when I refresh the car in a couple more years. Glad to see Firestone still warrantying them.

Our Firestones went under out here, at least the 3 that I know of.

over 40 years on the same warranty ?

DemonX, there is a 1-800 number you call (a Firestone office) and they then call Firestone and they seem to be happy to take care of you.

Heck yes, lifetime! 42 years now.

fullsizeoutput_56f1.jpeg

IMG_1862.JPG

I still have the paperwork and the sticker like shown above on the battery I have. If I recall, I think I was on my 4th battery at the time I stopped using the car.
Charger_at_Milan_13413573614030.jpg

How come I can't get a battery to last four years in a daily driver?

They used to offer Lifetime at Canadian Tire, on the battery called the "Eliminator" . They still offer the Eliminator but no more lifetime lol

O'Riley has lifetime warrentee on slot of the parts they sell.

Like clockwork the egr switch (not the actual EGR valve) goes bad about once every 2 years, I'm on my 2nd or 3rd now, I can change it out in about 15 minutes now, even made a custom Allen wrench and replaced one of the bolts with Allen head to access it without having to remove the alternator.

Love lifetime warrentee

A warrantee, lifetime or otherwise, is only as good as the company that issues it. Tried to get a battery issue resolved at pep boys today. All three stores i visited are closing. No joy on the battery, by the way.

I bought a TV from Frys Electronics. House brand I think "Silo" 2 months later they go out of business. They gave us a national warranty number to call in case, but I would not put a buck on being able to complete that call.

O'Riley has lifetime warrentee on slot of the parts they sell.

Like clockwork the egr switch (not the actual EGR valve) goes bad about once every 2 years, I'm on my 2nd or 3rd now, I can change it out in about 15 minutes now, even made a custom Allen wrench and replaced one of the bolts with Allen head to access it without having to remove the alternator.

Love lifetime warrentee

Yes they do, but they are changing their tune slowly but surely. Now, they are saying their lifetime warranty is for ONE time during the lifetime of a part. In other words, when you take that original part back for a warranty replacement, the one you get has no warranty. Your warranty is over until you purchase another part. We got the memo on it shortly before I left in 2019.

Along the theme of the thread, I do have a good battery story.

Daddy had a cool 65 Falcon when we were kids. He got it about 69 or 70 I guess. He had a Sears Die Hard put in it somewhere in the early 70s. It rocked on until I was out of high school in 83. I had a 69 Chevelle among five other cars I had been swappin a battery from one of the others to drive. Daddy came out one day and said "I'm gonna get a new battery for the Falcon. It's still good, but I'm scared of it". I paid the core charge and kept it. I flushed it out and got all the crap out of it and refilled it with electrolyte and put a charge on it. I drove the Chevelle another year or so and sold it.....but kept my precious Die Hard. That was probably 85 or 86. It got swapped around in many more cars and trucks, never failing once. Finally, about 1992, I was talking with my high school best friend Kirk. I told him I was fixin to get a new battery for my then 71 Dart with a 360. He asked if he could have the Die Hard for a shop decoration. I gave it to him. He emptied it out and let it dry out good and it sits on the work bench in his home shop. It's a cool one too and it's still in fantastic shape. It has all the color logo molded into the plastic, instead of stupid stickers. There is no question in either of our minds Kirk could fill that beeotch with fresh electrolyte, charge it and go. It's crazy. Next time we're over there, I'll have to get a picture of it. It's a beast.

Last edited:
don't know if they are still selling them but AAA had lifetime batteries. My mom has been having her battery in her 65 mustang swapped out every time it goes dead, (car is started maybe once or twice every year or so) wish my mom would give it to me, I would take care of it rather than use it as a storage shelf for unwanted crap!

To warranty the JC Penney battery now, you have to be the original purchaser and have some kind of documentation that you were the buyer. Non transferable. For years people were getting old batteries from junk cars and taking them in for a warranty. No more. Not many people that still have their car after 30 years.
You are correct in that abusing warranties can cause companies to eventually fold. Everybody loses then.

When JC Penneys stopped selling tools they still had to warranty the tool, they told me to just go buy a new one somewhere and bring back the receipt. Of course I bought Snap-on and they paid for it.

Here are three clues that show how my JC Penney battery lasted so long. The one in the two photos is 25 years old now.

IMG_1912.JPG

fullsizeoutput_56f3.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_56f5.jpeg

To warranty the JC Penney battery now, you have to be the original purchaser and have some kind of documentation that you were the buyer. Non transferable. For years people were getting old batteries from junk cars and taking them in for a warranty. No more. Not many people that still have their car after 30 years.
You are correct in that abusing warranties can cause companies to eventually fold. Everybody loses then.

Hey Leo, one of our Inland Mopars Car Club members has a '70 Barracuda that was her college car. She bought it used in about 1972.
She's been through about 7 warranteed batteries thanks to her lifetime Penneys warranty. They tried to buy her out of her warranty twice but she won't turn loose of it. A free battery everytime!

Just had to contribute my experiences with the JCPenny Lifetime Battery. I originally purchased mine, for my 73 Dart, back in 1977 for 59.95. I still have my Dart which I recently completed a 3 1/2 year restoration. The last battery they replaced for me at Firestone was in 2006 -- it actually lasted 15 years (Interstate) -- I regularly attached a battery maintainer to it to keep it charged up but after 15 years it finally went bad. Went to Firestone this week and the manager said they can still replace it free of charge (They now switched to DieHard Gold). JCPenny offered me $120.00 several years ago and I turned it down -- so it was the right decision to stick with the lifetime warranty option. My records indicate this is the 8th free battery. I have been a loyal JCPenny customer for many years and hope they can survive the Chapter 11 struggles. If they offer to buy me out again I will take their offer for sure.

I don't understand post # 22. What does an empty (dummy) "MOPAR" branded battery have to do with JCP ? Firestone took over the warranty's over 30 years ago.

-
Back