JD 690B excavator help...please!

-

xlexl

Reaction score
So i'm helping my landlord downsize after a nasty divorce, i've got most everything covered except this beast which is on the back 40.

I've worked around cat's on more than a couple of occasions, logging and firefighting i've driven them and helped work on them.

This beast has me baffled.

Hasn't been started in over a year, all the hydro lines look good-ish for an old piece of equipment. Was able to turn it over and get a sputter out of it using start assist before the batteries finally finished crapping out.

12v system or 24?
anything I should know about this beast?
Best way to sell a niche piece of equipment like this?

Did some research and the couple i came up with were going for 10-15k the one at 10k had a nuked motor.

Figure the batteries are under one of the plates that is bolted down but can't seem to figure out which one, i figure close to the cab because it makes sense but this thing is huge there are lots of places next to the cab.

Any help would be much appreciated, ill be the first one to admit that im way out of my element. But hell thats how we learn lol

We have a small Cat, and it is 24v.How old is this machine? If you grab the serial number, Cat should have all the info available. How are the tracks, and pads? Sometimes the parts are worth more than the machine to some buyers. I just bought new tracks(chains and pads) for our Hitachi EX1800. They were well over 100 grand, and 3 months away(luckily, they left Japan before all the disasters).
Advertise it in the trade mags as well as Craigslist, e-bay, etc. Someone will buy it, don't you worry.

If the batteries had life, disconnect them and charge them separately at 12V. If it IS 24V, the neg will be hooked to the POS of the other batt.

Now, no need to spin the crap out of the starter, find a friend, soak a rag in gas, and have him hold it inside of the air intake, (Air cleaner off) and crank it. It will run for a while on the fumes, OR, same deal, use an unlit weed burner.

Awesome! Thanks everyone was really helpful. Going try and head out there in the next couple days and see if i can get her running and off the back 40 so I can pressure wash and advertise.

Did you look under the engine cowling/cover for the batteries, with the larger excavators I believe they are mounted "close" to the engine. They may also be mounted inside the side door at the back. When you say start assist, does that mean glow plugs or starting fluid? You may use ether to help start, but go easy on it, not too much ether!! 2 man job, have someone crank it over while you spray a bit of ether into the intake. Also chk the glow plugs to see if they are all working. Obviously not running you are gonna get tons of lowballers. Good luck and post pics of the "beast"!!

i think it should be 12 volt , it should have a bosch in line injector pump on the right side of the engine , there should be a hand primer to prime the injector pump , it may have a twist knob on top of the primer that you have to loosen first before you can pump the primer , some primers all you need to do is just push down on the top of it,
Prime the pump first , this will make starting a lot easier,

Yes, the hand primer.Don't use starter fluid in the breather; soak a rag in gas, and hold it against the open breather.

-
Back