jeep cherokee rear in A body

-

mikec

Reaction score
hope everyones holiday was great, have a 73 dart looking for 8.25 rear swap, checked junkyards seems jeep cherokee rears are pretty close spring perches 43" ccenters ,355 gears , u pull it price $60.00 years i saw 95,96 1 shock mount relocate needed front to back , anyone try this rear? also read can swap posi unit from grand cherokee ? would be cheap alternative to i can't seem to find 8.25 or 8.75 for A body and some i've seen at 1800, can't afford that , any replies would be great thanks

I was told that the spring perches were approximately in the same location as an A-body, but I don't know of someone who has actually done it. Does it already have disc brakes? If it's $60, I say why not? Try it out.

I'd go with a explorer 8.8. Cheap ( not sure if it's $60 cheap) 31 spline axles, 3.73 gear, posi and disc brake.

explorer 8.8 ,does this rear need a lot of mods, I noticed some explorers at the yard , I looked but thought mounts were different, I heard if you go disc you need proportion valve , I'm not sure on all this , it's great to get more info, u pull it yard charges 60 for 5 bolt rear so I could experiment for cheap,but so far jeep looks easiest

Nothing is easy in this, as I have learned. Trial and error can sometimes be expensive. Deviating from the way Ma Mopar made it can as well. For $60 try it. Someone on here knows the answer to both the Ford Explorer and Grand Cherokee question. Ask yourself a few questions though on what the end point is in your build? Driver? Show? Money pit? $1800 may sound like a lot for an aftermarket rear all set up for Abody. Real value is that it is not 50 years old, better engineered in some cases, and will also command a price if ever you have to sell. Junkyard I went to said rears are in a pile....pick what you want. No Abody but plenty of ford so I'm curious and following. Pro portioning valve is nothing btw. I have 10 inch rear drum and front disc on my 72 Swinger, not a big deal. If you make it go fast, you want to stop! Good luck.

Don't forget to use the search feature on this site for 8.8 and jeep axle swaps. These subjects have been discussed in depth and you will get a much better understanding of the subject than from the limited responses you will receive to your question.

You will find that your 60.00 rear is worth 60.00 some people have good luck with 8.8-8.25-8 3/4 9" 9.25 but you will find that these will live behind a /6-318 but when you put torque in front of them you will find why some are more expensive than others

explorer 8.8 ,does this rear need a lot of mods, I noticed some explorers at the yard , I looked but thought mounts were different, I heard if you go disc you need proportion valve , I'm not sure on all this , it's great to get more info, u pull it yard charges 60 for 5 bolt rear so I could experiment for cheap,but so far jeep looks easiest

explorer rear you'll have to weld perches on and the old mounts/perches off. on a cherokee you'll need to move the perches anyway so thats a wash. proportioning valve is no big deal..

figure out what you want to do before buying anything else. look at this thread. this guy will have $1000 into a crappy cherokee rear when its done because he didn't do the proper research first. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970678284#post1970678284

here is what a friend did with an explorer rear.. if you can get one for $60 then you are ahead of him in the cost dept..

OK - Update without pics....
Stock Explorer 8.8 rear, 31 spline axles, 3.73 (may change to 3.21) gear, limited slip, disc brakes - $250 complete from junkyard. Add 2005 and up mustang wheels (17x8, 6.3" bs) put wheels in the center of the wheel wells. 275/50/17's are a close fit (1/4 to 1/2" all around, may have to down a size so they don't rub. Also moved springs in 1/2"...

attachment.php

attachment.php

from all the research i've done ( my wife's wondering what i could be looking up for so long)
lol, i am going to try to find an A body rear and spend the money up front at least the correct rear,lots of variables for ford rears and cherokee,s definetely doable choices,but would have to rely,or pay for welding, thanks for all the replies there's lots of info and posts about pro's and cons to help,thanks Fabo

Best friend you can have is a mopar buddy with a welder and the knowledge to use it. Just ask my friends!

I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee 8 1/4 rear under my 68 B'cuda. Piece of cake. Shoot me a PM and we'll discuss it.

Best thing you can do is to be truthful on how you want your car to perform.Everyone comes up with a"cheap"rear for these cars and some can even tell you how easy they are to install.If you use a jeep rear bolt a set of wheels on it and turn them.Quite a few of these bend an axle.remember these are built to take the abuse that a 6cyl 4.0 can put out.They all have their plus and minus.Dont expect to install a 60 dollar rear and get thousands of power shifts out of it,unless you have another handy.8 3/4 rears hold their price for a reason.Good Luck!

-
Back