Jeg's Reversible Extended Reach Cutoff Tool

-

gzig5

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new extended reach cutoff tool. I currently have the low end $40 HF version and it sucks. Absolutely no power/torque and takes forever to cut anything.

The HF Chief version gets good reviews and the price isn't bad at around $130 without a coupon. However, there is a similar version from other vendors that offers a reverse feature on the blade so you can direct the grit away from you in any cutting orientation. There are several brands that offer it and most are over $200+ except the Eastwood 51680 and Jeg's 81143 versions which are about $180 and $130 respectively. The Eastwood has solid reviews from several sources online. Haven't been able to find much on the Jeg's other than some Amazon reviews. Does anyone have any experience with the Jeg's tool? I am pretty sure they are all made in the same facility in Taiwan and should work equally, so I'd rather spend the difference in price on some decent cuttoff wheels.

HF https://www.harborfreight.com/pneum...-speed-extended-reach-cut-off-tool-64278.html
Jeg's JEGS 81143: Extended Reach Air Cut-Off Tool with 4 in. Wheel [13,000 RPM, Reversible] - JEGS
Eastwood Eastwood 4 Inch Extended Reach Air Cut Off Tool w/forward and reverse

1719599349322.jpeg

Last edited:
I am not familiar with those brands, but I would look for an Ingersoll Rand cut off wheel.
Buy once, cry once but the tool will last 20+ years, I have one and it is at least 35 years old and still works great.

I am not familiar with those brands, but I would look for an Ingersoll Rand cut off wheel.
Buy once, cry once but the tool will last 20+ years, I have one and it is at least 35 years old and still works great.
I have a couple IR tools and they are great. I haven't found an extended reach model by them though. And from the reviews, I think I want to splurge on the reversible ones.
Added some links to the original post.

I would just have to google search to look for an extended length IR tool.
I do know that our tooling department at work has Artic Cat extended length cut off tools, and they love them. Beat on them in an industrial plant.

I would also be hesitant about buying one with the reverse, to me that would potentially loosen the wheel.
I first and have had the experience of a grinding wheel explode.

Grainger has several. Some of them you'll really cry over.
[/URL]
Yowza! A bit out of my budget. Plus the ones I'm looking at have a lower profile neck/head to get up into tight places.
I would also be hesitant about buying one with the reverse, to me that would potentially loosen the wheel.
I read something about a special thread or locking nut to prevent the wheel from coming loose. They've been out in our litigious world for a couple decades so I'm satisfied that they figured that part out, or they'd have all been sued out of business by now.

Yowza! A bit out of my budget. Plus the ones I'm looking at have a lower profile neck/head to get up into tight places.

I read something about a special thread or locking nut to prevent the wheel from coming loose. They've been out in our litigious world for a couple decades so I'm satisfied that they figured that part out, or they'd have all been sued out of business by now.
Did you see this one? Very low profile.

-
Back