John Deere Blitz Black

-
Simple question: is the John Deere paint available in anything besides black and John Deere green?

Yes, White, Yellow, and Red.

20220918_113406.jpg

John Deere 5020
Power House, neighborhood owns it from back in the day when his Dad used to own it. He owns it now.

Alrighty then.... 4.5 hours of wet sanding later it's washed... degreased and I think I'm ready to shoot again tomorrow morning. Will hit with tack cloth before I start shooting. Have just shy of 600ml remixed to 4:1 and I'm hoping to get a few coats out of it and that it lays flat. Any sage advise?

20221016_132311.jpg

20221016_132317.jpg

20221016_135811.jpg

How much overlap on this stuff when I'm laying it down... still 50%?
50% or more. What's really important is to make sure it's a wet coat. With the mix you have now that shouldn't be a problem. You have to make sure you let dry enough in-between coats. I've heard you could get some mottling if you don't. I would shoot around the scoop first and then lay down the wet coats after. You won't have to worry about runs except around the scoop. Give her heck, it's gonna look good!

50% or more. What's really important is to make sure it's a wet coat. With the mix you have now that shouldn't be a problem. You have to make sure you let dry enough in-between coats. I've heard you could get some mottling if you don't. I would shoot around the scoop first and then lay down the wet coats after. You won't have to worry about runs except around the scoop. Give her heck, it's gonna look good!
First experience with gun... just want to avoid runs by laying it down too thick too fast. I'll hit the scoop then see what I get laying it down wet. Will wait at least 15 minutes between coats.

It.... is.... done....

Got 2 wet coats down before the breeze and bug gods conspired to end my painting day. That said, not unhappy with the results at all. There are 2 spots forward of the snorkel that I was on the fence about... glad I chose to leave it as there is a good breeze now and the gnats are chasing me around the yard. I might have chased the imperfections with a 3rd coat. But this result is so much better than the last attempt I'm going to leave it as is. With the base coats I wet sanded and the 2 wet coats I'm satisfied. I still have maybe 200ml left mixed I capped in the spray cup. How long will it keep? I'm still on the fence if I want to install the front molding but will want to scuff, prime and paint just in case.

A hardy THANK YOU!! For all that chimed in and helped me push this across the finish line!

First wet coat:
20221017_092855.jpg

Second wet coat:
20221017_095117.jpg

Fin:
20221017_100823.jpg

20221017_100828.jpg

20221017_100834.jpg

20221017_100844.jpg

20221017_100946.jpg

20221017_102109.jpg

Moved it into the garage to letter cure for a few days. Shots with different lighting. I hit my 10 attachment limit, will post some more photos up later.

20221017_102709.jpg

20221017_102717.jpg

:D

It.... is.... done....

Got 2 wet coats down before the breeze and bug gods conspired to end my painting day. That said, not unhappy with the results at all. There are 2 spots forward of the snorkel that I was on the fence about... glad I chose to leave it as there is a good breeze now and the gnats are chasing me around the yard. I might have chased the imperfections with a 3rd coat. But this result is so much better than the last attempt I'm going to leave it as is. With the base coats I wet sanded and the 2 wet coats I'm satisfied. I still have maybe 200ml left mixed I capped in the spray cup. How long will it keep? I'm still on the fence if I want to install the front molding but will want to scuff, prime and paint just in case.

A hardy THANK YOU!! For all that chimed in and helped me push this across the finish line!

First wet coat:
View attachment 1715999365

Second wet coat:
View attachment 1715999366

Fin:
View attachment 1715999367

View attachment 1715999368

View attachment 1715999369

View attachment 1715999370

View attachment 1715999374

View attachment 1715999375

Moved it into the garage to letter cure for a few days. Shots with different lighting. I hit my 10 attachment limit, will post some more photos up later.

View attachment 1715999376

View attachment 1715999377

:D
Well done. I can tell your confidence is growing by leaps and bounds!:thumbsup:

Well done. I can tell your confidence is growing by leaps and bounds!:thumbsup:
Thanks! I'll tell ya... those "wet" coats had me nervous. Previous experience with the rattle can and you get a "wet" look... that's a run in the paint.. lol.

Everyone's advise here was fantastic!

Nice looking car, I have a 70 Challenger awaiting my attention.
As far as leaving the paint in the gun, its probably set up by now.

The problem I am having with this stuff is that it scratches so so easy. Just touching my finger on the paint it scratches. I mixed mine 8.1.1 and it has been two weeks. I am probably going to just cut and buff mine.
1667752729965.png

The problem I am having with this stuff is that it scratches so so easy. Just touching my finger on the paint it scratches. I mixed mine 8.1.1 and it has been two weeks. I am probably going to just cut and buff mine.
View attachment 1716007120
There is a reason for hardner.
Anyone reading this thread, remember ALL auto pants have tech sheets, gives ALL the needed details, just find them on the puter NOT on the can!

I've not had that problem with scratches.. yet. I mixed 4:1 no hardener.

There is a reason for hardner.
Anyone reading this thread, remember ALL auto pants have tech sheets, gives ALL the needed details, just find them on the puter NOT on the can!
I used hardener, hints the 8.1.1

8 parts paint, 1 part reducer, and 1 part hardener.

The OP does know IF he shoots metal sitting out in the sun, it is way too hot,and easy for it to go on too dry.
There are 4 temps reucer, even an additive to slow it down even more. Air pressure at the gun and fan/volumn setting so important plus technique.
Guy asked once, why is my rattle an job not as nice as the guys that used $1000/gal topcoat and a $400 gun???? Dunno!

That looks really good. Nice job.
I'm going to try to find some of that JD paint locally to do the AAR hood on my Cuda.

I first shot bc//cc on a project back about 1990. I have used single stage acrylic urethane 99% of the time since. Other day I called some PPG store to price a certain color. They will ask for my "number" and I just say I am an individual not a shop but you better give me the shop price/ The "kid" had to ask his boss for the price and it was like stupid low fr the paint and hardner. I called another store and asked did that store price and they siad it eas an industrial and called it maybe poly some enamel. I really have to wonder IF this is a good CHEAP paint for those that want to save money shooting darn tractor paint or rusteolum for top coat!! NOT me. but I see guys all the time wanting to save a few bucks.
I use Rusreolum for floors and bottomof carnew metal, Tough but what is the UV rating where guys use it for topcoat?

-
Back