John Deere S240 Lawn Tractor - Reviews

-
John Deere is hard to beat, got an old L100 from a neighbor who said its been thru 2 other neighbors and still works great and parts are readily available

I bought a new one 3 years ago.
I've had no issues with it so far - pretty happy overall. I've put about 70 hours on it so far and have only had to perform routine maintenance on it - no failed parts or anything thus far.

They are assembled about an hour from me in Greeneville, TN.

The only minor complaint I have is the mower deck cuts a little uneven on some parts of my yard - gives a slightly scalloped look to the lawn in a few places. The salesman warned me about it when I bought it (local JD dealer)- he said the larger model with a different deck design didn't do that but it would have been more $$ than I wanted to pay so I tolerate it.

Let me know if you have specific questions/concerns and I'll do my best to answer them.

I bought the S240 new last spring and used it all summer. For cutting on flat straight terrain it's fine. Cutting while cornering or on a slight slope creates irregular cuts and in some cases long divots if you turn the wheel too much. The seat has no absorption. The gas tank is way too small. The S240 doesn't provide a comfortable ride in my vision. Previously I had an simple trimmer and in retrospect I should have kept it. I should have kept it. It was the best cordless weed eater, light but to a big suprise especially powerful, perfectly coping with my large area. I think that I will sell my S240 lawn tractor and will return to my favorite model, especially it is much more economical and ecologically friendly.

Last edited:
Bear in mind that some of these "brand" names, when sold through "big box" outfits, are NOT THE SAME as the "real thing" in some ways. I believe it was a Deere a now gone friend used to own, bought at "big box." When the bushed deck bearings wore out, he went to Deere and they did NOT want to talk with him!!!

John Deere lawn mowers are expensive, but at least you will know that it is efficient, durable and qualitative

I've seen one and serviced it. I don't like them, because they have way too much plastic on them for the money. I think for 3200-3500 bucks, you can do better. Just my opinion.

Looks like a dandy. I have a X320 (a step up in model) It is a hydrostatic with power steering and power deck lift. It also has the Kawasaki which is a good one. It's a 42" deck.

-
Back