"Johnny Carson" on Antenna TV

-
Yea the New Tonight Show is trying to Appeal to younger crowds, Not a fan.

Antenna TV does have Doogie Howser M.D :D

I watch Jimmy Kimmel quite a bit. Not a fan of Jimmy Fallen, and can not stand to watch that turd on CBS, Letterman's replacement.

Antenna TV > *, I applaud you.

Back in the day I installed roof antennae for a living (low pay, no benefits). One of the most memorable installs was a huge VHF/UHF yagi atop a 20' mast. It also rotated. I can't believe I did the job solo, but I was in my 20s and had no fear and I was lucky. The location was on First Mountain in Linglestown PA, if anyone knows where that is.

Truly amazing the number of channels that antenna brought in. Local, Philadelphia, Washington DC, Baltimore, Lancaster, more. Couldn't get anything to the west because of the Appalachians.

Antenna TV > *, I applaud you.

Back in the day I installed roof antennae for a living (low pay, no benefits). One of the most memorable installs was a huge VHF/UHF yagi atop a 20' mast. It also rotated. I can't believe I did the job solo, but I was in my 20s and had no fear and I was lucky. The location was on First Mountain in Linglestown PA, if anyone knows where that is.

Truly amazing the number of channels that antenna brought in. Local, Philadelphia, Washington DC, Baltimore, Lancaster, more. Couldn't get anything to the west because of the Appalachians.

We still run an antenna for the channels that we don't get with cable. We get most of those area's you mentioned with the antenna and including Allentown,PA ,Wilmington,Delaware ,and one in the New Jersey. I don't know if we picked up any stations from Scranton.

.Truly amazing the number of channels that antenna brought in. Local, Philadelphia, Washington DC, Baltimore, Lancaster, more. Couldn't get anything to the west because of the Appalachians.

In our area the amount of available stations is actually dismal, and the only reason "I get what I do" is because of a stack of translators on a nearby hill.

The main "bunch" of Spokane TV is on (variously) Tower / Power mtn, "Krell Hill." However, in my part of town, that mtn is partially shaded by Blossom Peak, and the two Mica Mtn near state line.

"On that" is NBC, FOX (+ANTENNATV), CBS (+ JUSTICE), CW22, and WA state PBS. There might be one or two lower power religious stations.

Then the "big gun" up on Mt Spokane is ABC, and their sub channel, METV

I could get Mt Spokane with very little effort, but everything else was difficult. Part of that stuff was on translator back in the analog days.

But when digital TV first fired up, some of the stuff on Krell did not get sent to translator.

I'm an amateur, and already had a 45' tower, so I got busy and mounted a big corner reflector pointed to the local translator, and built a sidearm support, with rotator, and mounted a big VHF / UHF yagi with a 14' boom pointed to Spokane, in an effort to receive stuff off Krell.

Even though I could get stuff off Krell back "in analogue," digital is a no go. So the effort and expense of the big yagi was a huge waste of time and effort.

The "upshot" is that everything I can get now comes from a corner reflector pointed an the local hill full of translators. The downside is that a big storm can take them out (and has) and that I cannot get CW22 which has more old stuff and would be interesting.

"TVFOOL" is a great site to plot your prospects in your area

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

Below is the plot for me, "with a flaw."

jhd0k8.jpg

The huge signal 13 from the NW is Channel 4, CBS, from Mt Spokane. All the stations from the NE are from the local translator.

Everything from the W-SW is from Krell / Tower Mtn, and is flawed, because it does not truly reflect signal level shadowed by the mountains in the road. CW22 is not even remotely "there." Channel 2 "sometimes" and PBS can be detected as being there but not received.

The translator channnels are EG 18 is channel 6 (NBC) 26 is Idaho PBS, and so on.

Everything nearly directly N is considerably further away, out of range.

In our area the amount of available stations is actually dismal, and the only reason "I get what I do" is because of a stack of translators on a nearby hill.

That site is cool.

Similar predicament here. Everything worth watching is on Sandia Peak (NE from me). There is some FM due north in Santa Fe. So a small VHF/UHF roof antenna along with an optional unidirectional FM will do it. Here is a listing, pretty good but a lot of them are spanish or religious.
http://tvlistings.aol.com/listings/nm/albuquerque/over-the-air/87105

It's getting old paying $142 a month. But I consider it cheap entertainment as I watch a lot of TV.

Attachments

• Radar-All.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 143
When I was in WI I looked into free antenna TV for a bit there. When I got my house there, it had an antenna on the roof. Since I am a fan of Chicago teams, I like the Bears and the Blackhawks, on cable, Time Warner, it wasn't in high def. When I switched over to the antenna from the roof for WGN or WFLD, the picture was incredibly sharper and clearer then anything on cable, even the supposed 'hi-def' stations. Go figure. In other words, the free stuff had a much, much better picture than the cable stuff.

i've begun watching the carson show reruns. i noticed at the end of the show that they are owned by the "Johnny Carson Foundation" so apparently, NBC and the heirs of Carson have put together some kind of deal to rebroadcast the old shows. i'll be watching a lot of these shows because i left late night TV when leno and letterman departed. i liked leno more than letterman but at least those two were from a generation of TV entertainers that i could understand. i have NO interest what-so-ever in ANY of the current late night show hosts.

Kimmel is the only one I get anything at all out of, and many times his musical guests are irritating, and I turn them off.

-
Back