JR Dragster

-

dukeboy440

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Has anyone participated in junior dragster? My son, 8, has become stupidly obsessed with that sport and wants to give it a shot. Just looking at something to see if he truly has the itch so not looking to dump 20k on a new chassis and drivetrain…. Yet.

Tips?

Has anyone participated in junior dragster? My son, 8, has become stupidly obsessed with that sport and wants to give it a shot. Just looking at something to see if he truly has the itch so not looking to dump 20k on a new chassis and drivetrain…. Yet.

Tips?
Lots of kids cycling in and out of the sport. The kids growing up and out of a car is the reason for changing cars. Families with 2 or 3 kids may cycle through cars as they outgrow them. Not necessarily a cheap hobby but you can buy in and sell out without loosing yout tail. It's a great program.

Do they have a junior drag school? I’d start looking there.

I don't know anyone that participates, but I know someone that may know about it. @inkjunkie Doug is a photographer (and a dang goodun) and he posts pictures of JR Dragsters on Facebook sometimes. I tagged him so maybe he will chime in.

Lots of kids cycling in and out of the sport. The kids growing up and out of a car is the reason for changing cars. Families with 2 or 3 kids may cycle through cars as they outgrow them. Not necessarily a cheap hobby but you can buy in and sell out without loosing yout tail. It's a great program.
Yeah I can find running certified ones for under 5k. Some top end ones near 20k. Some low end entry ones for 2k. Figured that’s a fair entry point and worth a shot

Yeah I can find running certified ones for under 5k. Some top end ones near 20k. Some low end entry ones for 2k. Figured that’s a fair entry point and worth a shot
From what I have gathered, it's a real blast!

From what I have gathered, it's a real blast!
Yeah he’s spent the last 5 hours since I said it was something we could discuss… learning everything he can, asking questions. Etc. did I create a monster

Yeah he’s spent the last 5 hours since I said it was something we could discuss… learning everything he can, asking questions. Etc. did I create a monster
Hopefully. Better than crack at least.

The other day my brother found one in NorCal that was a GSXR 1000 that was about 5 grand, was a “super comp”. Meant for the teens. Depending on the local drag strip, some run them some don’t. Sonoma very rarely runs them, but saw 2 running in Portland one night. Anything with a motor costs to run. And if you / the kids want to go at it at a high level it costs even more until a sponsor is willing to pay some money…

At keystone, we have a pretty decent turnout with juniors, guessing 20-30. It does seem that most stick with it and progress into a big car once the are old enough. I also work with a guy who has two kids running junior there. He was building a car for himself but has stopped because the juniors take up most of his time. I do see other families where the kids are in juniors and one of the parents as race also. I would think that you would need more than just yourself involved to take them to the lanes and stuff.

One of the guys that hangs out at our local airport supported his daughter in this for many years. I think she did quite well. It didn’t hurt that he is heavily involved in racing and motor development. I think it was a good confidence builder for her. There is an amazing amount of equipment and support out there from what he showed me. There is always used equipment in any kind of racing.

Absolutely get that kid a Jr. digger. Give him something to do that makes him think, learn to work hard and how to compete.

Go for it.

Tips?
Tips? The only tip I have is open your wallet. They won't let kids run junk down the track.
We fielded 2 Juniors and It ain't cheap.

Start out with good used stuff and then upgrade as he gets more dedicated to it.

If you are careful you can get going for under 10k. While that’s not chump change, it’s pretty cheap for what it is.
Some guy's think 5 grand is allot for a 360. lol
3-5 grand for a decent jr engine capable of running 7.90

I like the idea of starting with good used stuff. Though I don't have kids myself, my neighbor spent a ton of money on a motorcross bike, pads, helmet, etc. for his kid. In less than a year, his son was over it and had moved on to his next hobby.

I like the idea of starting with good used stuff. Though I don't have kids myself, my neighbor spent a ton of money on a motorcross bike, pads, helmet, etc. for his kid. In less than a year, his son was over it and had moved on to his next hobby.

Yeah, dirt biking and racing is EXPENSIVE. I grew up riding and ride my entire life until about 8-9 years ago.

Plus, riding motocross is the most taxing sport we have. About 45 years ago and IIRC it was a Sports Illustrated article but I could be wrong on that that showed the top 20 most physically demanding sports were.

Motocross came in second. When I read number one I **** my pants, lost my mind and called SI or whoever it was and cancelled my subscription.

The said SOCCER was the most physically demanding sport in the world.

Having played soccer and football and basketball plus riding dirt bikes I knew that was a lie. Of course SI or whoever it was said I was wrong because they did their research.

I asked the dude if he had ever ridden a dirt bike. He said no. I told him to get his balls out of his wife’s purse and go buy one and then tell my soccer is more physically demanding.

I never heard from him again. And I’ve never had SI again.

It's the video games and phone I tell ya. lol
When I was a kid I couldn't wait to get on a dirt bike and drag cars. My dad and uncle got me hooked.
Didn't have jr dragster when I was a kid, but I did race motocross and short track starting at 12 years old, raced until I joined the corps at 18.
Drag racing started when I was old enough to drive

Tips?
There are a couple for sale in this area between 2 and 3 K

Bought some stuff off of a guy that has a very nice drag car and a couple of JR drag rails that his grandkids are using now

2003 Kawasaki Junior Dragster

JR Dragster

Jr Dragster

The juniors that race at our local track look like their grandparents are footing the bill. They all show up in box trailers pulled by monstrous motorhomes.

I was happy to own a 20" bicycle when I was a kid. I got a moped when I turned 14, but I had to pay for it.

Personally if I had kids they wouldn't be getting a dragster until they had learned a lot of mechanical skills and could really take care of it.

Tom

Yeah, dirt biking and racing is EXPENSIVE. I grew up riding and ride my entire life until about 8-9 years ago.
I was on a 125 Bultaco pursang at 12, last bike was a CR 500. I quit riding 15 years ago.

-
Back