Junior project car

-

skep419

5.9 Magnum 4 speed afficionado
Reaction score
Curious what everyone would build/buy if you were 16 right now with a $5000 budget.

Park outside (garage with tools to work in)

Driven all year (snow)

Runs 13’s (8.XX 1/8 mile)

15MPG

Cruise control, a/c, overdrive (what could you do without?)

95-98 Mustang is probably the only thing in that price range that’s not a total crap box. A single cab Dakota with a 5.9 and 5 speed is another option, but a rare combo to locate for $5k.

If it doesn’t have to be a V8 a neon SRT4 can be had in that price range. Mine got 28mpg average. Best highway MPG(not stock)was with a 60mm turbo at 70 mph it would hit high 30’s and run 12’s at the track.

Last edited:
Curious what everyone would build/buy if you were 16 right now with a $5000 budget.

Driven all year (snow)

15MPG

Classic car or any car .... ???
If a classic then a 4 door A-body (some rust lowers the cost) or 4 door Aspen/Volare with a 5.9 magnum.

Something like this, offer 3k or 2800 cash ....
1969 Plymouth valiant · Signet

Or really beat the budget with this for 1400 ...
1973 Plymouth Valiant

2005 Neon SRT4. Good on Gas, Good in the snow, Very fast, And these cars at this time are going to U-pull -it for parts right now. And you can find them cheap.

Here in Canada that wouldn't get you much.

Whatever you go for try to get what you mainly want driveline wise, eg.. 318, 360, 383, 440 etc.. Try to get something with bigger wheel bolt pattern and 8 1/4 or 8 3/4 all these swaps cost a lot to do after.

And keep plans basic if looking for performance look how 318willrun does it on here and youtube.

Maybe go for a truck or less popular mopar, if so make sure it's fairly complete some parts can be hard to find.

Well.....since I knew me well when i was 16, i know for a fact that it would be a truck, with the intent to haul my butt to work ( to make more cash, lol ).
I remember looking at small pickups way back then...... ended up being a f250 4x4 highboy for $2300.00 in cash. BTW, no gas mileage, and it spit the driveshaft out with a broke u-joint at the dragstrip....wasnt gonna make 13s anyway!!

Last edited:
I'd rather one of these, can get small or big block. It's got the bones to make into a luxury muscle type car.

1724872442400.png

Nice car but for a budget of 5000.00??
Didn't say to buy the one pictured, you can find deals on these cars, not a favorite of the hot rod crowd but it basically a mid 70's B body car, I think they can look cool, wish we still had my dads Tbar one.

budget of 5000.
Hard to find a Mopar. Not impossible, Anything running and drivable your budget is already spent.
I sold this one about 6 years ago for $3800. Try to find that today.
P.S. Dumbest thing I ever did....

IMG_2208.jpg

Didn't say to buy the one pictured, you can find deals on these cars, not a favorite of the hot rod crowd but it basically a mid 70's B body car, I think they can look cool, wish we still had my dads Tbar one.
Got ya.

I had a 76 Charger SE ,similar bodystyle.

Nice car but haven't seen many lately.

Driven all year (snow)

15MPG

you're 16, you can live with a lot of nonsense. i know that most all of us did when we were in our teens and 20's driving cars without AC, cruise, power anything, radios, carpet, headliner, springs in the seat pokin' us in the ***.

i'm old and washed now. i need at the bare minimum AC.

but to your question, 5K kinda takes anything vintage off the table if that number includes purchase. which puts you squarely in the S10, mustang, dakota territories (as you've found out).

because this is moparlandia i'll cast my vote for a dakota or durango. out here you can scoop one for anywhere between 2~3.5 for something okay. snap a cam and headers on it and flash the pcm and roll. or a charger. i see them floating around in the middle 3's with v8's but know going in that it's gonna be hammered.

just try and buy something as complete as possible that's running and driving. don't buy somebody else's project. i repeat: do.not.buy.a.project. that will only lead to frustration and heartache. and you spending all of your foldin' money for nuthin'.

I just seen you location, look farther down south, to minimize the rust.
You might be able to find something decent that starts and stops for $5000.

Check the local ad's don't be afraid to call and somewhat low ball these cars, my friend got a 5.0l mustang for $2,500, asking price was $6,500. Guy had to sale and my friend was standing there with cash, worst they can say is no, which the guy did but he call my friend later that night and said come get it.

Vintage Mopar? Good F bodies are cheap once the seller understands it is an F body not a hemi Cyuda. WEorking AC, not always. No one needs AC till they are old, overweight and lazy! :thumbsup:

Vintage Mopar? Good F bodies are cheap once the seller understands it is an F body not a hemi Cyuda. WEorking AC, not always. No one needs AC till they are old, overweight and lazy! :thumbsup:
The problem around here is everything is rotted beyond belief already, add a couple winters of salt and it's game over. The other thing to take into consideration is plentiful parts (either salvage yard, aftermarket, marketplace) I think the Dakota's are about the only thing Mopar that would check all the boxes......

Last edited:
You need to look at facebook market place or craigs list in states dry or desert.
Found a nice Dart in Georgia, all there and no rust. Even Virginia away from the coast. Florida too.
Eastern Oregon is one. There are a few guys I know that buy and then have shipped.
One tells me he buys several a month when he finds them. Has a bunch of square body chevy pickups.

-
Back