Junk gas, what to do?

-

breakstuff

Reaction score
How are you doing it with your carburated daily drivers with crap fuel? Seems like every 4 to 6 months I'm pulling my Kids eddy 600 carb apart to clean it. Same thing every time, white and brown crystal like garbage in the fuel bowls. It has a new tank, lines, pump, and filters and the crap still seems to be building up. Even tried mixing up what gas stations I visit.

How much is the car sitting around? Does it sit around with very little gas in the tank? My recommendations would be a. drive it more often, b. keep the tank full, c. start using some Stabil in the gas...
C

i use either sea foam or lucas fuel stabalizer in mine, also, if i can, i try to get ethanol free fuel. im not sure how available that would be around you but up here its pretty plentiful.

Check out

Pure gas.org

It shows stations that have 100% gas NO ALCOHOL

There are 3 stations within 5 miles of my house with REC 90 fuel, close to river and a lake so they have it for the boaters

Easiest to find close to water, the blended fuel is bad for boats

Like to have for lawn mowers, string trimmers and cars that are stored.

If that isn't available, have been using marine grade BLUE Stabil for the last few years. Cannot over concentrate like the red, 1 oz. per 5 gallon of fuel. But I put it in pure gas also, just to be safe for vehicles that are stored.

Yeah, some local stations still have non; check around marinas, but don't pay their prices. and Seafoam is a good thing.

I sooo wanted to start a rant on the junk gas. Appreciate the suggestions here. My daughters 1 yr old lawnmower just cost her $50 bucks to "clean the carburetor." Other daughters weed wacker not running right, sure it's the gas too.

The small engine repair shop (30 yrs experience) says current gas has a three week shelf life for small engines. Guess I will look for some pure gas.

So I went to pure-gas.org and found two stations nearby. Going to get some tomorrow for the small engines, lawn-mower etc. We'll see how it goes, good to know when I get the 440 up an running, if they are still selling gas by then.

i just went thru the carbs chasing a floooding situation,,new mech pump,regulator, now the fuel cell is out drained it today,,lot of junk in the gas,,not sure what it is,almost looks like plastic fuel cell material,,and no this is a foam less street cell,,and a lot of gold flakes on the bottom of the tank,metal looking,,my guess is all the crap is getting in the needel and seat holding it open flooding out the cylinders that have the intake valves open,,see what happens if i can get the junk completely out of the tank,,, wonder what gas station i got all this crap from,,frustrating and costing a bunch of bucks to track down,,,

None near me, Closest is Monroe which is about 45 minutes away or one tank of gas for this pig. I'll try the additives, Thanks everyone

Knock on wood I have yet had any problems but I drive Victoria at least 40 miles a week and keep a bottle of lucas fuel stabalizer in the trunk, this is a must do JMO and like sea foam it goes a long way get it about anywhere, me I get mine from NAPA.

For me gas can gas, mowers, trimmer, caddy when it runs out of gas while pulling trailer with gas can in it ....... Dumbass me ....... LOL

I go ahead and put the blue STABIL in before filling the can year round

To me it is cheap insurance and thankfully have not had problems out of the small engines

Is the car having really high temps under hood? Like, is it possible the fuel is boiling out of the carburetor when it is parked or does it sit a long time like several weeks and the carb evaporate dry?

Toluene may be a good "enhancment" to this crappy gasoline. Nice aromatic hydrocarbon that increases octane rating and helps with cold starting. It would probably help with varnish since it is a solvent. There are several threads regarding toluene on this site.

Most of these bottled additives are kerosene, alcohol and toluene anyway. They are not some sort of super exotic concoction.

Checked out pure-gas.org and found 5 stations listed for all of California - and they're all up in the far north end of the state.
I had to take my string trimmer in for repair last year due to ethanol in the gas - it ate up the plastic feed hose in the little gas tank. Tech blamed it all on today's gas.
Guess it's additive time for me.

I haven't had any fuel related problems with my Dart, it's my year round daily driver. I usually put about 100 miles a week on it. Most of the time I get my gas (87 octane) at Kwik Fill or Sunoco, and I don't use any additives. The only issue (if you can call it that) I have is hot starts, when the engine is hot and I go to restart it after its been sitting for 20 minutes I have to crank the starter for about 3 seconds to start, when the engine is cold it always starts within about a second of cranking.

Slant 6 w/offenhauser intake, 2bbl carter bbd w/manual choke

The only issue (if you can call it that) I have is hot starts, when the engine is hot and I go to restart it after its been sitting for 20 minutes I have to crank the starter for about 3 seconds to start, when the engine is cold it always starts within about a second of cranking.

Weird, but me too....I gas up at Chevron or Allsups, or Stripes though....

318 w/ 72 Thermoquad intake/carb

Is the car having really high temps under hood? Like, is it possible the fuel is boiling out of the carburetor when it is parked or does it sit a long time like several weeks and the carb evaporate dry?

Toluene may be a good "enhancment" to this crappy gasoline. Nice aromatic hydrocarbon that increases octane rating and helps with cold starting. It would probably help with varnish since it is a solvent. There are several threads regarding toluene on this site.

Most of these bottled additives are kerosene, alcohol and toluene anyway. They are not some sort of super exotic concoction.

i work in the printing industry,,,and we use to use toluene,,,it is a cancer causing agent,,,and swells rubber like mad,, any straight undiluted amount would wreck your fuel pump and runner parts in the carb,,,and sooner or later make any rubber hoses you have come apart

-
Back