Junked 68 valiat

-

GermzD74

Cool Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I am wondering...If I put in a small block in my 67 valiant, I think I might go to the yard where i saw a 68 valiant v8, and get the parts i need to do the conversion fron slant six...may someone make a list of exactly what i should get out of the valiant v8?

also...ive read a post the one before mine...about engine combos for decent power and decent gas mileage...someone suggested the 318 would be good for a small car...and 360 for big cars lol shold i go for a 318 or 360? i want mine to be a daily driver...and later one get a more aggressive car with a more aggressive engine...so that said...

what are good combos for whatever engine you think i should put in? there are a lot of 318's and 360's at the yard...what would be a good daily driver v8? what rear end should use? gears? I want to keep it with the cheap price...i also work at napa auto parts and get BIG BIG discounts haha

I would love someone to tell me exactly what to buy lol this would be good because it is my first build and know very little...

The very minimum needed to bolt in a V8 with stock parts:
K-member
Motor mount brackets off the engine.
V8 transmission or bellhousing

Items that should be added:
V8 torsion bars
10" V8 drum brakes
Larger radiator
Larger rearend.

Things that are different between the /6 car and V8 car but the /6 stuff can be modified to work:
Engine wiring harness
Radiator

Chuck

The very minimum needed to bolt in a V8 with stock parts:
K-member
Motor mount brackets off the engine.

Items that should be added:
V8 torsion bars
10" V8 drum brakes
Larger radiator
Larger rearend.

Things that are different between the /6 car and V8 car but the /6 stuff can be modified to work:
Engine wiring harness
Radiator

Chuck

Allrighty then! thanks! Ps...would you swap a slant six out of a 67 valiant sig. or keep the slant six as for a daily driver...what would you do? and dont say junk the car lol =P

I will take a beating from the /6 guys for saying this but I would go with a 318 instead of the /6. The 318 can get really close to the same mileage and will have more power with less money. But, if your /6 still runs good then I wouldn't change it now. I would run it and collect the parts as you go for your V8 conversion. Then when the time comes you will be ready.

Chuck

Allrighty then! thanks! Ps...would you swap a slant six out of a 67 valiant sig. or keep the slant six as for a daily driver...what would you do? and dont say junk the car lol =P

If it is a daily driver and it is running fine (and you are thinking about building a more aggressive car later on), I would leave it as it and just tweak it to be the best ride it can be with the equipment it currently has. Spend all your "hot rod" money on the next car.

I will take a beating from the /6 guys for saying this but I would go with a 318 instead of the /6. The 318 can get really close to the same mileage and will have more power with less money. But, if your /6 still runs good then I wouldn't change it now. I would run it and collect the parts as you go for your V8 conversion. Then when the time comes you will be ready.

Chuck

Sounds about fair...as much as I like the uniqueness of a slant and its history...we are just in a world of speed and i would be left behind haha i thought of leaving the slant six in, beef it up, and and later get a bigger car that would deserve a big V8...but then the other day...while i was vacuuming my car at an arco gas station...i heard a big growl coming down the street to the stop light...seemed like a monster....was some type of super bee lol and then to make me feel worse he reved the engine and made me feel puney...hahaha i wanted to run away like napoleon dynamite...lol

If it is a daily driver and it is running fine (and you are thinking about building a more aggressive car later on), I would leave it as it and just tweak it to be the best ride it can be with the equipment it currently has. Spend all your "hot rod" money on the next car.

And deal with the shame of the event I talked about on my lat reply? lol
Well I guess I can do that...after all...it'll be sad to take history off a 60's car that is pretty much complete...hmmm back to keeping the slant lol

I'll have to agree with some of the above. If you wait for the slant 6 to die before replacing it... good luck. That may never happen If you take care of it.
As for the V8 k-member, find a newer one that accepts spool type motor mounts and front stabilizer bar (73 up). A 68 model V8 K-member dont seem worth the effort to me.

You've been given some good advice by these guys. One thing that really puzzles me is your statement:

"and later get a bigger car that would deserve a big V8..."

The whole idea of going quick and fast is to have a lightweight car, and an engine that's capable of propelling that car to your expectations of speed or elapsed times. Get yourself a nice 360 and rebuild it to the level of power you want or can afford, THEN, and only then, replace the /6 with the 360. Voila....instant muscle car. :)

go for a stroked 340 or a 360
this is what I'm building
Here is what I'm building
Callies 3.79 crank
CompStar 2.100 x 6.125 rods
Diamond Custom Pistons 9.3 to 1
Joe Mondello Cryogenically Frozen Alecular bearings
Racer Brown flat Tappet Cam ST-21( Duration @50 254 554/520) and lifters
Racer Brown Magnum Rocker Arms
Cometic Gaskets
Complete New Magnum/LA heads Stage 3
EV-8 5/16 stem stainless valves
Hardened Exhaust seats
Pro Comp 3 angle valve job
Springs
Retainer
Machined 10* locks
650 mighty demon
air gap
I've replaced the 7 1/4 rearend with an 8 3/4 (3.23) and had the 904 tranny redone.
Changed the the torsion bars to the .9s and a front swaybar.
Super stock springs in the back

go for a stroked 340 or a 360
this is what I'm building
Here is what I'm building
Callies 3.79 crank
CompStar 2.100 x 6.125 rods
Diamond Custom Pistons 9.3 to 1
Joe Mondello Cryogenically Frozen Alecular bearings
Racer Brown flat Tappet Cam ST-21( Duration @50 254 554/520) and lifters
Racer Brown Magnum Rocker Arms
Cometic Gaskets
Complete New Magnum/LA heads Stage 3
EV-8 5/16 stem stainless valves
Hardened Exhaust seats
Pro Comp 3 angle valve job
Springs
Retainer
Machined 10* locks
650 mighty demon
air gap
I've replaced the 7 1/4 rearend with an 8 3/4 (3.23) and had the 904 tranny redone.
Changed the the torsion bars to the .9s and a front swaybar.
Super stock springs in the back

Aahhhmm and how much are you planning on spending? I dont think I want to spend too much money on an engine...especially if Im not using it for show competitions nor racing...just something fun to drive thats not too bad on gas and not too slow...in the mid range i guess...unless someone donates lol

You've been given some good advice by these guys. One thing that really puzzles me is your statement:

"and later get a bigger car that would deserve a big V8..."

The whole idea of going quick and fast is to have a lightweight car, and an engine that's capable of propelling that car to your expectations of speed or elapsed times. Get yourself a nice 360 and rebuild it to the level of power you want or can afford, THEN, and only then, replace the /6 with the 360. Voila....instant muscle car. :)

hehe well I ment...a car that I like more which are the longer cars that really look mean lol

mmm any way i might just go with a v8 since its just much more power for the same gas ill probably use up on a beefed up slant...or close to it.

which years of cars should i take the k member and mount brackets from that will bolt right on a 67 valiant? do a bodies from the 70s work? (they gave to be a bodies too right?)

I have about 4 grand into the motor and maybe another 2500. It's a blast to drive and it looks just like yours (68 also)!!!!

I have about 4 grand into the motor and maybe another 2500. It's a blast to drive and it looks just like yours (68 also)!!!!

Awsome! You have any pictures around? I could use some inspiration! :read2: What color is your val? (ps if you ever see a drivers side post door glass let me know...I am having a hard time finding one. :cheers:

Mine is the same color as yours, with black inside. I'll dig some pic's up. I've found most of my parts thougth the internet

CARPIC2.jpg

Germz,

If you are looking for a 360 (standard bore & rebuildable), let me know. I will be in Burbank on 11/8-9 and could bring it with me.

Any 67 or later V-8 K-member will fit your car. The only difference is the later ones use the spool mounts instead of the bisquit type mounts. If I remember correctly, the spool type motor mounts first came on the 1973 models.

Quote: "hehe well I ment...a car that I like more which are the longer cars that really look mean lol"

You have the perfect sleeper already with that Valiant. Remember, walk softly and carry a big stick - ie, a 360 in your 67. :)

Mine is the same color as yours, with black inside. I'll dig some pic's up. I've found most of my parts thougth the internet

Awsooome car you have there! Im glad I have a valiant since I have never seen one around here in Orange County nor in San Diego where Ive always lived.

I dig the wheels, that's exactly how Ive been thinking of doing mine...if not all black like that for a black paint on the car...then a lighter than navy blueish metalic paint for the car and wheels the same color, with those caps...it'll look sweet.

that front bumper would look good on mine haha. let me knwo if you know of a bumper I could really need i aswell as a door glass for driver side...i freeze everytime in the morning while going to work or school.

Germz,

If you are looking for a 360 (standard bore & rebuildable), let me know. I will be in Burbank on 11/8-9 and could bring it with me.

I am sure getting an engine from a former mopar guy would be better than going to a yard and buying something that hasnt been checked and may not be good. Over here there are these yards called Ecology Auto Parts...where you go in with your tools and get whatver you like...send me a PM with more info and maybe I'll see you there...why not. lol:cheers:

-
Back