Just a little advise

-
They did come blacked out. even my black 70 RR was flat black. I personally do not like it shiny on a restored car. especially a car that has a factory blacked out grille. But on a car that has been persoonalized or a prostreet do what you want. What ever floats your boat. Take your grille out you will really be able to show off the rad support you had painted. If you want to show all the detailing you did to your rad support and how perfect your radiator is from a distance, do it. I agree with Jim though. Mother mopar put alot of time in changing the grilles every year. These accents are obscured with the shiny Rad. Remember the cars (back in the day) had the underside painted white. or paint the drums orange/red, howabout the lighted fender wells. or lights in the scoop. Lights on the traction bars. I use to look at these cars and LOL to, but that was their thing. I will let you enjoy your shiny rad support and you can even wax it if you want. But it doesn't make it factory correct, just correct for your eyes. And by the way you hear alot of laughter among others when they see it. I don't laugh with them I just remember (back in the day).

I just love guys (*Super Sarcasim here) that give out free advice not only on how to ruin the car but adjust it so they like it better even though it didn't come that way from the factory.

The body, when painted at the factory, was not blacked out in the grill area nor was the engine bay.

.........sorry, just late to the party! black it out!

Now i,m retarded. lol. Maybe we should all run correct bias ply tires too as they didnt come out with radials on them. hehehe Oh and better paint those aluminum radiators. sheesh

Well we'll both ride the short bus together because I think it looks cool too. Nice car man.

WOW! Let Me start by apologizing to everyone for My poor choice of wording. I really didn't mean to say you should have done anything. The point I was trying to make to guys who didn't know is on light colored cars the factory did in fact spray some black paint on the front of the radiator yoke where color showed through the grill. Also I didn't say that the engine compartment should be painted black unless the car was black.I was not trying to belittle anyone or there cars I realize We all have our personal tastes and that's cool. Just trying to pass a little knowledge on, that's all.

No reason to apologize, nor is this ground breaking news.
Anybody that follows Mopar history knows this as fact.
Lets not forget the lower radiator support to.

70 Dart Factory/Original paint.
Before and after.

And I do agree that it is your car, do what you like.

Attachments

• Picture 187.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 173
  • faucet pics 658.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 172
  • faucet pics 754.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 160
Nice car. love it and one of My favorite colors. I have the same one a 340 3spd car though. Hope to restore it someday. But right now I'm restoring My 70 340 4spd FK5 Dart. #'s matching car. Hope you didn't pull the valance on My account. Every Mopar lover should be able to admit that Mopar made some of the nicest looking grills of any car company. i.e. 70-71 Darts,Demon and sharktooth. to name a couple. When I look at these cars I first look at the grills as that to Me is what makes these cars look so good. If it has body color behind the grill Your eyes tend to go right to it basically taking away from the grill. Try it sometime You'll see what I'm talking about. I do agree though two each his own.

Im with you Jim, leaving it body color ( On bright color cars ) looks like crap. Black it out as the factory did! I just finished painting my duster limelight green, and blacked out the behind the grill area. It looks awsome.

I was just thinking. It doesnt matter whats behind my grill as most are gonna be looking at my tail lights anyway.

I was just thinking. It doesnt matter whats behind my grill as most are gonna be looking at my tail lights anyway.

Don'tcha mean they'll be looking at YOU in their mirror saying, "Geeze, I wish that 'tard would put some black behind his grill." :wack: :poke: :butthead: :toothy10:

Wylde1.

they were trying to place emphasis on the grill not the radiator support. some of the black out jobs were somewhat less than pretty and/or perfect. i must admit that it makes it alot easier to clean. but the emphasis should be on the grille! mho.

I don't know where some of you are getting your info, but it's bogus. My Demon was Honeydew Yellow from the factory and that included the rad support area. There was no black from the factory anywhere on the car. When I repainted the car it was with Viper Red everywhere and I blacked out the grill. I don't care if anybody else likes it, I do, that's what counts.

Jack

Attachments

• mini-mini-notangl.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 99
Every 60's / 70's MoPar I've ever seen had flat black paint on it core support's grille-side . The amount of blackout applied certainly varied ; some cars got it all the way to the top ; some had barely any coverage ; some had average -- e.g. , factory guideline-specific -- coverage .

I agree with the whole "build-your-car-as-you-want-for-it-to-be" ideal , but I also agree that the blackout looks a lot better ( especially on Hi-Impact colours and lighter colours ) .

The general consensus is that the front rad cradle assembly was sprayed from someone standing in a pit shooting up as the car rolled over. As well, it seems that the process was done to cars generally wearing light or bright colors to prevent the color from being seen through the grille (if the grille was open). Of course, it is quite conceivable that some that should have been painted weren't, and some that shouldn't have been painted were. Thats Mopar.

Just my prefence, but body color takes away from the black/silver grille color and shape.

Grant

That's exactly how they did it. Even My Buddy's red 69 R.Runner vert. was blacked out. After it was painted We were reassembling the car and He didn't want to black out the yolk because he liked the pretty bright new red paint, We put the grill on and looked at the shiny red paint behind the grill. He said I like it ( now this guy is the original owner He bought the car brand new when he was 18 years old) 50 grand and 8 years later buying NOS parts and what not restoring the car back to original and he didn't want black out behind the grill.(What's up with that!) I said Dude that looks like F-ing Sh-t well he must have stayed up all night staring at that grill because the next day he called and said your right I blacked it out. Cool that's what friends are for. He's been winning trophies up the yingyang at car shows ever since.

-
Back