Just a little real world info about a 42RH behind your Magnum.

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
Or not behind a Magnum, whichever. :D

My car used to run at 2,800 RPM's at 80mph.
With the 42RH (A500) overdrive with converter lockup the RPM's at 80 are now 1,800
Took it out today and tested it on the open hiway

1,000 RPM decrease in RPM's on the freeway.

I'd sure like one of those in mine

Del, I got mine out of the U pick it for $150 w/lockup converter out of a 2 wheel drive 1995 Dodge Dakota that had both fenders and the hood crunched.
I figured the front end damage took it off the road and not a drivetrain failure, so the chances of a good trans was better.

I haven't been following...Is this in a Dart?

I'm skeered to cut the crossmember....

Del, I got mine out of the U pick it for $150 w/lockup converter out of a 2 wheel drive 1995 Dodge Dakota that had both fenders and the hood crunched.
I figured the front end damage took it off the road and not a drivetrain failure, so the chances of a good trans was better.

Actually I've got a couple of cores, only one is an RH I think. At least one is a 518, but one is a smaller series. Of course FIRST I have to get the REST of the 67 back together

I haven't been following...Is this in a Dart?
I'm skeered to cut the crossmember....

Yea, 73 Swinger
Actually it's not the crossmember per se, but only the loop of it that goes over the top of the transmission.
I have super tough frame connectors welded right next to the torsion bar sockets, so between those and the trans crossmember I'm sure it fine.

Actually I've got a couple of cores, only one is an RH I think. At least one is a 518, but one is a smaller series. Of course FIRST I have to get the REST of the 67 back together

The 518 would be one for floor mods I think, from what I have seen.
The A500 came out of a 230 or so hp pickup and has a fair tow capacity also, so I figure in a vehicle 1000 ponds lighter it should do pretty well.
My opinion anyway. :D

Decided to be less technical and call them 4th and 5th instead of OD and lockup. :D
Shifter art for the man cave I don't have.:D

ShifterArt.jpg

So you're saying the 500 trans is much easier to install than the 518? What witch craft was required?

Thanks for sharing so much on this build. It's nice to a see a build after my own heart's desire!

It does take less modification to fit the A-500 vs a 518. What axle gears do you run TrailBeast? Counting down the days to tear mine down to do this same trans

-
Back