Just another Dart....

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Found it on EBay years ago.....
View attachment IMG_2245 (Medium).jpg

View attachment IMG_2246 (Medium).jpg
While the quarters look clean in the pictures they were not. EZ, my friend/body guy found several pounds of what were nails at one point on each side, between the quarters and the trunk extensions.

View attachment IMG_2252 (Medium).jpg

View attachment IMG_2253 (Medium).jpg

View attachment IMG_2255 (Medium).jpg

View attachment IMG_2256 (Medium).jpg
There was also big blobs of seam sealer that allowed any water that found its way into the trunk extension area to form puddles. Result.......both lower quarters and one trunk extension had to go....

This build is going to take a long time to accomplish....I am disabled. And the car project is going to have to wait until we finish our house. So be patient...

Would like to add that this car is being built by a person that considers himself a hot rodder....If you are one of THOSE folks who can not tolerate someone swapping another brands power plant/transmission into one of these A-bodies I strongly suggest that you :stop: and CLICK HERE ....consider yourself warned :D

I ran the vin from the lis plate which gave me the full history of the car. This is a very rare Hemi 4 speed Dart, raced by Dick Landy, who won the Winternationals in 1969 with it.
Then, before it was shipped to Australia,Dick installed a Big Block Chevrolet motor with a power 'glide in it, and won many race's there, before being shipped back.
Dick had the quarters changed to stock so he could drive it on the street as a sleeper.
Then he put a slant 6 into it so his daughter could drive it to high school.
After she graduated, a little old retired contractor lady (hence the nails in the quarters) bought it and used it as a driver for the rest of her life, till she passed away.Her son put it on Ebay, that is whom you purchased it from.His name is Mark Lang (he is who I got all my info from). He says he has the title in his possession.But misplaced it when he was dating Ashley Force, and working on John Forces crew.

What a barn find!

I have the original matching number Hemi, 4 speed transmission, along with the Ford 9" (yes Dick ran a 9" Ford diff. in it.) in my possession. I want to see them together again, so I will sell them to you for $2500.00. They were just all just freshened too.
PM me if intrested.

I clicked there, and out of nowhere I got b*$ch slapped.

I think an LS engine would be sweet. Or, a Gen III hemi with the new borgeson ps box and the tti headers to fit. Hell, anything as long as its a V8, different, and fast.

I'm to the point I don't care what the car is made of, as long as the owner likes it. Wish I would have kept my 89' 240sx for an LS swap. Check those out on youtube!

Boy my thoughts are bouncing around today!

I ran the vin from the lis plate which gave me the full history of the car. This is a very rare Hemi 4 speed Dart, raced by Dick Landy, who won the Winternationals in 1969 with it.
Then, before it was shipped to Australia,Dick installed a Big Block Chevrolet motor with a power 'glide in it, and won many race's there, before being shipped back.
Dick had the quarters changed to stock so he could drive it on the street as a sleeper.
Then he put a slant 6 into it so his daughter could drive it to high school.
After she graduated, a little old retired contractor lady (hence the nails in the quarters) bought it and used it as a driver for the rest of her life, till she passed away.Her son put it on Ebay, that is whom you purchased it from.His name is Mark Lang (he is who I got all my info from). He says he has the title in his possession.But misplaced it when he was dating Ashley Force, and working on John Forces crew.

What a barn find!

I have the original matching number Hemi, 4 speed transmission, along with the Ford 9" (yes Dick ran a 9" Ford diff. in it.) in my possession. I want to see them together again, so I will sell them to you for $2500.00. They were just all just freshened too.
PM me if intrested.

You forgot to mention that the serial number is DL21J9A100001 when you break down the codes are:
D=Dick
L=Landy
21=2 door sedan
J=426 Hemi
9=1969 model year
A=Lynch Road, MI assembly plant
100001=Sequential serial number.....first car built for Dick Landy for the 1969 model year.

The car was originally scheduled to be built as a 2 door sedan and when Dick saw it rolling down the assembly line, he decided it had to be converted to a 2 door hard top because he hated the look of a sedan. So they pulled the car off the assembly line and waited for the next hard top Dart to come by and they switched roofs. They decided to leave the V.I.N. as is to piss off Galen Govier. At this point it was a body in blue so nobody noticed.
However, some of the top Chrysler execs got wind of this and were going to refuse to put the Hemi engine in it during the final assembly process. As a matter of fact, Tom Hoover and Dick Landy had a fight in front of the car over it where Hoover pushed Landy towards the front of the car, he tripped on the Hemi and hit the grille with the side of his head, breaking his cigar. You can still see the dent in the front of the grille showing where Landy's head and cigar hit. Landy threatened to sue Hoover and Chrysler over this incident so Hoover backed off, installed the Hemi himself, and bought Landy a new cigar. Dick Landy decided to leave the grille in the car with the dent in it to spite Hoover. As a bonus, Dick got a complete spare Hemi a month shipped to him so he wouldn't sue, that's why Dick Landy had so many Hemi engines from then on.
Just a little bit of trivia to add to your 100% correct story.......

I think the car should be restored as raced in 1969 by Landy, but it's your choice.

I love this guy ^^^^^^^
Ink PM'd me , the cheapo wants the hemi & tranny for $1500.00...I told him I would put it in my Fairlane 1st, before I would let it go that cheap.
So anybody that wants the hemi drive train for $2500.00 PM me.

I love this guy ^^^^^^^
Ink PM'd me , the cheapo wants the hemi & tranny for $1500.00...I told him I would put it in my Fairlane 1st, before I would let it go that cheap.
So anybody that wants the hemi drive train for $2500.00 PM me.

Hey now......hold on there. I am just trying to fit into the Mopar world......wanting Champagne but only willing to pay for Keystone Light...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZnoNmUJQQY"]Keystone Light Commercial Grillin with Stones High - YouTube[/ame]

Engine tranny and diff. sold..........Mark Lang bought it. I shipped it yesterday, he said the check is in the mail, I am so excited to finally get rid of it. Now I can put a Chevrolet in my Fairlane.And 10 bolt too.

Engine tranny and diff. sold..........Mark Lang bought it. I shipped it yesterday, he said the check is in the mail, I am so excited to finally get rid of it. Now I can put a Chevrolet in my Fairlane.And 10 bolt too.

Thanks FRIEND!

ink could make it 1 of 1 with long history
ponti yak engine chevy powerglide trans furd rear cummins stickers on the side and diesel stacks

images

Glad you decided to share the build Ink. Some of us will enjoy and likely even learn a few things along the way. :coffee2:

I clicked there, and out of nowhere I got b*$ch slapped.

I think an LS engine would be sweet. Or, a Gen III hemi with the new borgeson ps box and the tti headers to fit. Hell, anything as long as its a V8, different, and fast.

I'm to the point I don't care what the car is made of, as long as the owner likes it. Wish I would have kept my 89' 240sx for an LS swap. Check those out on youtube!

Boy my thoughts are bouncing around today!

I am not a purist, not by any stretch of the imagination. Different & fast would be a great thing. But what I am really after is something that is not going to break the bank. If you read thru the forced induction section of this site you will see "go to the turbo forums" thrown around....which is exactly what I did. Nuff said on this for now...more later...but again, if the thought of someone creating a "bastard", red headed step child or what ever you chose to call a vehicle with a swapped in power plant/trans bothers you I would suggest you CLICK HERE

looks like a good starting point.

Thanks

Glad you decided to share the build Ink. Some of us will enjoy and likely even learn a few things along the way. :coffee2:

Me, educate folks? Now THAT is a novel concept....

Car sat in the deserts of CA & AZ for a long time so there was not much left of the interior...not that it mattered, after all it is just a /6 3 on the tree car.
View attachment IMG_2248 (Medium).jpg

View attachment IMG_2249 (Medium).jpg
Floor pans were rot free...I spent the first 27 years of my life in NJ, so this was a welcome site.

View attachment IMG_2250 (Medium).jpg

View attachment IMG_2251 (Medium).jpg
The car became a favorite habitat for some small critters of some sort over the years, Ernestina & I spent several hours on terd patrol. When the car ended up back in AZ for fab/paint work they also spent a few hours on terd patrol.

View attachment IMG_2258 (Medium).jpg
Car sat at a friends place at the base of the Superstition Mountains in Apache Junction for a while. He had pack rats in his yard. When I popped the bottom of the back seat off of the retainers it sort of looked like it was levitating in a way from all the Mesquite tree seed pods. By the time I was done removing them all from the under the seat and in the car I had filled 3 30 gallon trash cans with them.

View attachment IMG_2259 (Medium).jpg

View attachment IMG_2260 (Medium).jpg

View attachment IMG_2273 (Medium).jpg

View attachment IMG_2274 (Medium).jpg

View attachment IMG_2276 (Medium).jpg

Don't like what I am doing? Instead of freaking out about it kindly CLICK HERE

Hell ya that thing is clean! Must be nice to start out without rust being the first concern. What's with the hole in the tunnel?

I've got its ugly twin. Mine sat in middle Washington on some lake shore where there was only ferry access before someone finally rescued it. Seats looked about like yours. Its getting Caddy seats. I don't give a rip about the purists. If I'd have known more about $ per HP I might have done a transplant too.

Build it your way.

Attachments

• New 69.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 574
Hell ya that thing is clean! Must be nice to start out without rust being the first concern. What's with the hole in the tunnel?

Was told the original owner was driving it & the column shifter linkage decided it was time to retire. He was in the process of attempting to put a floor shifter in it when the old guy passed away.....

I've got its ugly twin. Mine sat in middle Washington on some lake shore where there was only ferry access before someone finally rescued it. Seats looked about like yours. Its getting Caddy seats. I don't give a rip about the purists. If I'd have known more about $ per HP I might have done a transplant too.

Build it your way.

So our cars were in the Lee family??? Ugly & homely? Other than the custom paint your does not look all that bad. I have a brandy new trunk extension, don't remember which side that if you need you can have it....I will even deliver it seeing as how I never got a chance to meet you over the summer....

So our cars were in the Lee family??? Ugly & homely? Other than the custom paint your does not look all that bad. I have a brandy new trunk extension, don't remember which side that if you need you can have it....I will even deliver it seeing as how I never got a chance to meet you over the summer....

I think mine are OK. Thanks for the offer.
We should find an excuse to meet some time.
I'll be following your build.

I think mine are OK. Thanks for the offer.
We should find an excuse to meet some time.
I'll be following your build.

I would buy/borrow one of those contraptions that folks use to see inside a closed up motor, a bore scope or what ever it is called. Seen something that would work at Costco. Our car had globs of seam sealer between the trunk extension & quarter. The blob had a little hollowed out spot where any water that got down there would just lay there. About a month or so after our car was painted it bubbled....

-
Back