Just another k.h. Swap thread.

-

Anthony Beauchamp

Reaction score
I just bought used upper control arms, spindles, rotors, calipers, hard lines and soft to swap my 66 barracuda to disc. I was not given bolts for the lower control arm with the ball joint or the lower control arm with the ball joint. My old 9in drum lower ball joint lined up to the threads. My questions are what bolts do I need and do I need the lower control arm with the ball joint for disc brakes I’ve seen moog makes one? If I don’t Is there one that is recommended? What wheel bearing do I need? I need to refresh everything so does anyone other than classic industries offer rotors? I have the bendix brake booster, is there a brake master that is recommended I haven’t picked one up yet?

60044098-ACDD-4BC7-A90C-64E69767976C.jpeg

Skip the booster it is not needed.
67 dart convert with factory front KH disc, stock manual brakes, standard mc bore. Stops just fine for the last 55 years.

As for bolts, I recall seeing a thread about them recently. You could also look at Classics ind and see what is available. Don't have to buy from them.

Dart lower ball joints....

If you do some searching you'll find parts are interchangeable. For example Rock Auto lists different rotor choices for disc brakes on a 69 Dart, yet the "out of stock" rotors are the same part number as the 66 Dart option. Then a 69 Barracuda has even more rotor choices and again the "out of stock" rotor is the same part number as the 66 Dart option.
Therefore the 69 Barracuda rotors are the same as the 66 Dart yet the 66 Dart only gives you one rotor choice, whereas the 69 Barracuda gives you other rotor choices. Have a look.

The lower control arms are the same between drum and disc brakes, but, the disc brake lower ball joint has bigger diameter mounting holes. If you have a good enough drill, you can just open them up for the bigger (9/16" I believe) bolts. If your ball joints have any play in them, I'd just get new ones. The stock wheel bearings are Set#2 (outer) and Set#6 (inner). Get new seals while you're at it. Try to get the factory ball joint to spindle bolts if you can. Otherwise, make sure you get some good quality grade 8 bolts with locking nuts to match.

Last I checked, disk lower ball joints (w/ steering arm) cost about half the drum ones, with the later getting hard to find (squirreled some on shelf). I recall the bolts are kind of special, but Grade 8 bolts with lock-nuts (all-metal type best) should work and Ace Hardware carries them. For those converting 10" drums, my 1965 Dart had one threaded lower hole in the 4 spindle holes which mount the drum backer plate and ball joints. I though that bolt was stuck in a thru hole with rust, so beat it out only to find I had stripped the threads. Perhaps they did that for easier factory assembly since it also had a nut at the end of the bolt.

You can use just about ANY disc master cylinder, from 67 to at least the 90s. 79-later (plastic caps) needs the 2 to 4 bolt adapter, 40 bucks. For stock look, 67-78 works.

You probably know this, but do NOT use a drum MC with discs.

-
Back