Just bought a 383, have a quick question

-

72moparswinger

Reaction score
Hey guys, I did try the search but came up empty, I heard that when putting a big block in a Dart or A body in general that I need a motor mount relocation kit to fit it right? Motor is not running and will not go in right away,my buddy saw it on cragslist and bought the long block for 150 bucks with a stand, and it was a running motor before the minor tear down that has begun on it

Thanks for the info, what other hardware do I need for this swap?This is my first time doing this swap. I have a new 727 but the bell housing is for a small block, Like the 833 the bell housing can detach from the tranny, are the 727's like that?

Go to schumacher engine swaps there is a lot of useful info. The small block 727 will not fit a big block. There are a lot of things to consider.Torsion bar upgrade to bb. bars. Brake upgrade. Maybe rear end up grade.

Lots of ways to get the motor in there. Schumacher is only one of them. If you have not contemplated this sort of swap before do yourself a favor and go wander around the tech pages at www.bigblockdart.com for a while. You will probably come out with more questions than you had going in, but you will know what to ask.

Thanks for the tips guys, I know it is going to be a big task, my buddy talked me into buying a 383. Prolly wont happen for a while but definately going to read up on it

Thanks

Thanks for the info, what other hardware do I need for this swap?This is my first time doing this swap. I have a new 727 but the bell housing is for a small block, Like the 833 the bell housing can detach from the tranny, are the 727's like that?

The manual tranny's only have a detachable bell.

All automatics have a cast in bell.

MoPar tranny's are engine family specific. So you need a big block trans.

If your going to change tranny's, from manual to auto, a driveshaft will need to be either cut down or a new one made because it is longer.

Other parts to consider new for the swap are.

Cooling system, starting with the radiator.
Header can come from the swap company or Hooker, tti, headman....
Throttle and shifter cables from Lokar or equal place
Front / rear suspension and brake upgrades.

This swap is pricey, but a well done up big block in the A-body is a scream machine. That 383 will like to rec high with it's short stroke.

Thanks for all the help guys, I have been readin up and found lots of info from the sites given on the replies. So I got the motor back on the stand and this is what its doing. Grown a little concerned as this is a 1,000 lbs capacity stand.

383.jpg

-
Back