Just Call It Rust

-
I think I know what you are referring to.
The thread with "cancer" in the title, right?
I wrote out a fairly well constructed post in that thread but didn't submit it. In short, I objected to the casual use of that nasty word to describe rust.
Many of us have been through some form of cancer or another. The mere word sends a feeling of gloom and fear though some people.

Lost a Bro Monday at high noon... not sure if the Bone Cancer took him or his heart gave out. David Pagett was a good Dude. Been friends over 30 years. Ford Man. But bought a Hemi Ram in the end. Old School. I remember him and his brother sticking it 4x4 through a chain and picking up a fully dressed small block Chevrolet with cast iron intakes and exhaust manifolds on it and setting in a full size truck, on a tire, gentle like. I hate cancer

Yeah, I thought it couldda been worded different, but that's what some people call it. Just do like I did and suck it up and move on.

Ya, I guess that triggered my reaction but there are others that have accumulated in my response.

Ya, I guess that triggered my reaction but there are others that have accumulated in my response.
My bad if I stepped on your thread when you said cancer sucks but Rust can be mitigated, and you're a body person. I assumed you were talking about the human kind of cancer or animal kind of cancer, both which have cost me Loved Ones. My Bad if I offended You, and stepped on Your Post. I Apologize

I agree, it's a bad metaphor that can open up a lot of wounds. I don't use it.
Let's start here- if you've gotta call it something other than "rust", we'll call it "leprosy". It's more accurate anyways.

are we really turning into those kind of people, that we can't use simple words anymore ?

I understand it's a bad disease but come on

I've been calling cars ate up with Rust many other things including the c word for well over 35 years so I was never offended Personally..

Last edited:
Referring to rust as cancer is an old school term. Its the perfect analogy since it spreads rapidly and doesnt stop if you dont catch it in time. It also lurks in places you cant see.

I agree, it's a bad metaphor that can open up a lot of wounds. I don't use it.
Let's start here- if you've gotta call it something other than "rust", we'll call it "leprosy". It's more accurate anyways.
Can i call clear coat peeling sunburned? I'm in.

are we really turning into those kind of people, that we can't use simple words anymore ?

I understand it's a bad disease but come on
I'm not easily triggered but try having several members of your family succumb to the disease and see how you like the casual use of the word.

I'm not easily triggered but try having several members of your family succumb to the disease and see how you like the casual use of the word.

i've lost grand parents on both sides of the aisle to cancer, my mom is officially a survivor and because of my family history i got to have my first colonoscopy at 35...you might say im aware of the disease

but that wont make me stop using it in regards to rust

we all know what "cancer" means in the car world

what's next, are we gonna force horoscopes to stop printing their nonsense about how great a week cancer will have?

i understand cancer is a bad mother, but come on, we sound like a bunch of prius drivers

I call rust on cars? Rust, or sometimes rot because thats what it is. I dont call it cancer because I despise that word, but if someone uses the word cancer to describe body rust, im not that sensitive to get upset

We watched mama slowly lose her battle from 78 to 84. She gave it a valiant effort, but it still took her when it was over. Use of the word cancer for other things doesn't really bother me. I think it's about spot on for rust, because to metal, that's what it is. Still though, it makes me think.

We watched mama slowly lose her battle from 78 to 84. She gave it a valiant effort, but it still took her when it was over. Use of the word cancer for other things doesn't really bother me. I think it's about spot on for rust, because to metal, that's what it is. Still though, it makes me think.
Moving on. Your words RR.
Good advise. Survivor myself.

-
Back