Just checking, am I right? Regarding lifters

-

NorthernSwede

Reaction score
Hi, I have been hearing a ticking sound from my 318 in the '66 Dart so I pulled the valve covers and just randomly felt on some of the rockerarms, yes I know the proper way to check them but I didn't get that far. I were able to lift some of the arms between 4 and 6millimeters from the valve, that just can't be right? I know it aint right on a Volvo engine but I'm kinda new to these engines, so the question is simple, should I under any circumstances be able to lift the rocker almost half a centimeter from the valve?

sounds like you are not getting proper oil pressure to the lifters, OR the lifters are not pumping up as they should. Check oil pressure of the engine to see if its good. If it is, replacing the lifters is likely necessary.

Also, in reading your post, you have a 66 Dart, but the 318 wasn't available until a year later. Is it a 273? I'm asking because the 273 would have mechanical adjustment and flat tappets, meaning the gap you are seeing could be a simple adjustment or a big problem.

That confirmed what I thought, thank you very much, yes it's a 318. SOmeone switched it over the years and there's no adjustments to be made on the rockers =)

-
Back