just got a dana 60

-

dudeman601

Reaction score
just came back from arkansas this weekend to do the post deployment family visiting. while up there i thought it would be the perfect time to pick up some more of my stuff, my hot rod stuff, particulary my 8 3/4 stuff.make a long story short, somebody decided that they wanted it more than i. i guess the guard dogs at moms(yorkies) just werent mean enough to defend'em. ha ha ha
while up there my wife found her dream vehicle 1963 wv truck (never knew they existed till then) same guy had a dana 60 sitting there, so i made a deal for everything.
now what i have is a 8 3/4 a body housing moser a body axles, and a dana 60 complete down to the drums.
how difficult is it going to be to do up the dana? i know it will have to be cut down, and i will have to put tube ends on it.. i am going to check here in a bit to see if the moser 's are the same spline. what am i over looking

Well Im doing a Dana swap now. What year is the Dana? And whats its out of do you know? SOme of them old ford Dana's had 16 spline axles. I got a quote of $195 to cut down that included new housing. Get yourself a set of rear brakes. Is it a Power lok or Tru-Trac assuming its a limited slip diff. If its spline count is the same as your axles just have the housing cut to fix your axles. I bought a install kit off ebay for $90 bucks. Then find someone to set it up for you unless you have the special tools for it.

i really dont know much about it other than its originnaly out of a chevrolet, and its a 4.56 ratio. i do believe he said he welded the spider gears(which i will put a spool or find some kind of locker for it). it was put in a willy's jeep push buggy for the circle track close to my moms place. dont know the year, but if there is a casting number or something i will check.
what kind of special tools would i need? im always looking to do the stuff myself and learn if it is feasible and safe.and im going to look right now for that installation kit.what kind of install kit am i looking for?

Well you need a case spreader them are pricey on there own. $200+ Check around for a limited slip diff. There is 2 types of diffs that I know of 4.10 and down and 4.10 and up. Check ebay and hate to say it MOPARTS seen a few on there. Someone on here had some loaded backing plates with all the hardware for like $50

yeah i think i will skip the case spreader ... ha ha ha that money i could throw into parts ..

another question... between the different years , are there any problems with things not being the same. example: found a 3.54 carrier with ring and pinion, but its out of a 96 1 ton front end. would there be any problems associated with this kind of swap?

Front end stuff dont work as its reverse rotation. If your buying dana parts PAY EXTRA attention and make sure its rear stuff.

-
Back