just got an 8.25 for 50 bucks!!

-

scottymizt

Reaction score
hey guys looking on good ol ebay i found what was discribed as a 7.25 was actually a 8.25 out of a 75 demon. I was happy to see that it's an 8.25 but i dont know exactly what gear ratio is in it. I took off the cover to look and it's an open diff and had numbers stamped on the ring gear the last three digits were 295 would that be the ratio? I have a 4sp now in my cuda and have no idea what is in it anyone have any ideas what would have come in the early a bodies with a 4 sp? Also i am looking for a suregrip for this 8.25 and will be looking to get rid of mine once i dig it out of the car if anyone is interested. Thanks guys

It must be a Dart Sport because '72 was the last year for a Demon. There should be some other numbers, sometimes it is the ratio like 2.76 or it will be tooth count like 41:14

You could get a 7 1/4 in a '75 a-body so are you sure it is an 8 1/4? if it is it is a good buy @ $50

Chuck

yea pretty sure the cover on the back is the roundish cover and has 10 bolts it looked nothing like my 7 1/4 much bigger pig the back plates for the brakes were way different than mine and so were the drums. I don't know if that helps but i was just going by what i found on here. I bought it to replace mine directly til i could afford an 8.25 or 8.75. The ring gear also said 11/74 on it i was guessing that is the date? is there a sure way to tell what year it was made?

oh yea my wheels wont fit anymore either bolt pattern is too wide

scottymizt said:
yea pretty sure the cover on the back is the roundish cover and has 10 bolts it looked nothing like my 7 1/4 much bigger pig the back plates for the brakes were way different than mine and so were the drums. I don't know if that helps but i was just going by what i found on here. I bought it to replace mine directly til i could afford an 8.25 or 8.75. The ring gear also said 11/74 on it i was guessing that is the date? is there a sure way to tell what year it was made?

oh yea my wheels wont fit anymore either bolt pattern is too wide

The 8 1/4 is round so it does sound like that is what you have. The 11/74 would be the date of the ring and pinion. I just learned this about a month ago on this site but they did make 7 1/4's with the large bolt pattern and I just pick up a bunch of cars from a guy cleaning up his yard and sure enough two of the cars have large bolt pattern 7 1/4's in them.

Chuck

-
Back