Just got my 440

-

chubz

Reaction score
It's a F440 out of an New Yorker.

It has the Maltese Cross and then an X which after searching shows I have a .10 undersized Crank.

How does that affect the performance?

It doesn't affect performance at all. I know an old machinist (and a Chevy guy to boot) who told me that Chrysler cranks have the most meat and turning them .030 or more is not a problem.

It doesn't affect performance at all. I know an old machinist (and a Chevy guy to boot) who told me that Chrysler cranks have the most meat and turning them .030 or more is not a problem.

Thank You!

Yeah,turning a crank will gain you nothing......and it will lose you nothing reliability wise unless it has been turned beyond spec. Say someone turned a crank .050 when the max recommended is only .030,then you would be .020 thousands beyond the safe point and asking for your engine to explode as some point lol.....but .010 is nothing,normally if there is minor im imperfections in a crank,a shop will turn it .010.....not uncommon at all but nothing to go braking about either lol....not a mod,just a way of insuring your engine was built with smooth mating surfaced. and for what the crank was turned under,oversized bearing were added in its place.

Always check your bearing size when doing a build.....learned the hard way during a stroker lt1 chevy build a couple years ago.....bought all new bearings,took for granted that no one would have a cam turned and run oversized bearings......well,either chevy did dumb **** from the factory or someone actually had a cam turned instead of just buying a new cam....anyhow.....I bought all standard cam bore bearings and the cam had been turned gradually more on each surface.....first was .010 under,then .020 and again,then .030 and again......my fault for not micing it out,but never would have thought someone do that.

Anyhow,sorry for babbeling on lol,just got stuck on the bearing subject for a minute lol. glad to see you finally figured out your engine route your taking. a little more work and screwing around by going 440 instead of 360 like you were talking but still cool and I see no reason why you could not reach your goal of burning tires like you had mentioned lol. GOOD LUCK ON THE BUILD!!!

-
Back