Just my luck , no start Dakota outta da blue

-

rumblefish360

I have escaped the EVIL Empire State!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
LOL, so check this out. I'm doing calipers, rotors and pads on the front of my '03 Dakoda. I get the passenger side done, go to move it to sart the drivers side, twist the key and click click click clickty click click. (Dang crumb-bumm!)

Strong battery, I didn't leave the truck on for anything. Just POP! outa d blue, no start. Some chit huh?!?!?!

OH, and for good measure, since I'm so old dang school, I go to jump the starter terminals.......LOL for those who know ....
Ya can do it, the small wire is a plug in. Frakin nice huh?!?!?!

OUI, well, fish dinner first, I'm starvin!

clickity click click click.....sounds like a corroded battery cable....

Even if the ends are nice and clean, there can be corrosion under the insulation down inside the cable.

Hey Rick! How the hell are ya?!

Cables look good, power every where. I'll double check after , "after dinner cawfee." being served now. Ummmmmmmmmmm

When you jacked it up you dumped the juice out of the battery. Sorry just comic relief intended.
Probably is battery or cable connections though. Good luck

LOL! And for a quick second, I had this image of baettery acid pooring out the side like an "Abandon ship!" call.

i was thinking starter? IDK
Could be but look at the cables 1st if my dakota set for more then 3 days it gos dead .with a new bat has sicne the t bone but there starters like to get hung. ive had two dakota older then urs tho tap it with a rubber hammer lol it mite come back

Thanks Lucy, I hope it is as well. I'm gonna take it out and test it @ AutoZOne.
(Fingers crossed!)

Same thing happened on our 93 Dakota - click click click. Pulled the cables off the battery; cleaned battery terminals and cables. Back on and varoom varoom.

Hey Rumble. Happened on my 98 when i was doing a trans fluid change. Spent 4 hours messing with battery and starter. Turned out to be neutral safety switch plug my big butt hit & knocked loose while messing with trans pan.

Oldschoolcuda

Clickety - click is lack of power. You can have plenty of voltage to run lights, etc... but you need amperage to turn the starter. Your battery is low or there is a bad or corroded connection somewhere.

Try turning the engine over a little to the left and right. Sometimes the starter gear can jam up (and jelly tight). Otherwise look for some corrosion someplace, lot of times it's between the clamp and the posts where you can't see it. My experience with starters is that they usually give a little warning before they completely go.

clickity click click click.....sounds like a corroded battery cable....

Even if the ends are nice and clean, there can be corrosion under the insulation down inside the cable.

Same thing happened on our 93 Dakota - click click click. Pulled the cables off the battery; cleaned battery terminals and cables. Back on and varoom varoom.

Clickety - click is lack of power. You can have plenty of voltage to run lights, etc... but you need amperage to turn the starter. Your battery is low or there is a bad or corroded connection somewhere.
As you described:
twist the key and click click click clickty click click. (Dang crumb-bumm!)...

If that is whats really happening I suspect power supply also.(something loose or corroded)

If just one click it is the starter contacts that are worn out.
I would not even be surprised that it starts after your dinner.
If it just one clicks on ya,try that about 4-5 times one after another and they usually will start,at least to pull in my shop after being towed.
Hammering this kind of starter does not work like the conventional starters

I have never trading in a gear reduction for a rebuilt or new one.
They are the easiest starter to fix ever.Only problem is finding the contacts,I get them from alt/starter rebuilding company here at $5 a piece and it requires 2,of course I buy 4 of each type on a visit,so I can fix Honda,Toyota,Dodge,Nissan and all other gear reduction starter.
Dorman offers a kit part number 02349
Here is a picture of a gear reduction starter...

On the bottom and back of the starter you will have the kicker wire going in on side and battery cable on the other.
Usually 3 8mm bolts holding back cover on.
With that cover off,you will remove plunger and then spring.
Look inside and you will see where the plunger hits the copper contacts and see how they are worn...
All that holds these contacts in are the nut one the side of the starter,
Double nutted on both sides,just do one side at a time....
The only thing to really pay attention to is the plastic sleeves and o/ring on each side insulating the starter case from receiving power.
re-assemble and that starter will last another 80-100 k ...
TXDart

Bad battery of all things, which didn't make any sense what so ever to me. It's like it dropped dead in a few hours. The ignition key works perfectly. It MUST be in the off position to be taken out. Unlike my wife's Durango which can be taken out in any position.
The radio turns off with the ignition and was turned off before I exited the truck. Interior lights were off, bed light was off, cables in excellent shape, total mystery to me.

It has not skipped a beat prior or since. Excellent and perfect operation before and since. Excellent truck.

-
Back