Just orded new headers from Layson

-

Djakken

Reaction score
I just orded headers from Layson, see pic and Layson discription.
As I see if these headers are in principal Spifire headers.
Am I wrong?

HS-22MOD
Small Block Headers:
Headers - A-Body Small Block - Now for those that have modified there original cars to accept a Engine Swap Kit for these early A-body's (1963-66) we have a specific header for you guys as well. The #HS-22 will not fit for those cars that have the Engine Swap Kits (slant-six to a small-block V8, 273, 340 or 360 V8) - but these headers will workSpecific for Engine Swap Cars

Attachments

• Layson headers hs-22mod.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 1,583
Didn't know they were still selling them.. looks so much like spitfires ya gotta wonder if they bought a **** load or just copied the design. .

What kind of money they getting for them now?

525 plus another 200 for ceramic coating.

Double the price of spitfires huh. For that money I'd pay a little more and get full length dougs. Shame Harold dropped the ball with the spitfires.

Not dealing with Harold would seem like money well spent based on the horror stories I read on these forums.

Did they estimate time of delivery? 2 weeks, 1 month, 1 year, etc,,,,?
Maybe they hired Harold and He will get right on it !
2 weeks,1 month,1 year from tomorrow...
525 for a very poor design with no improvement over exhaust manifolds.

525 for a very poor design with no improvement over exhaust manifolds

I don't know about that. Spitfires made a huge difference over 340 manifolds in djvcuda's 66 cuda. They may not give max power but sure an improvement over manifolds in my experience with them. .

You should call because I just did and they said the earliest they will be getting these is in the spring. The track record of Layson's consider it next fall maybe?

Maybe too late for the original poster in this thread, but it's good to think very carefully and do a good bit of research before you decide to spend money at Layson's. See, for just a few examples, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here. Much of what they sell -- including headers -- is not of their own manufacture; a large proportion of their product line is bought elsewhere and marked up. They're almost never the only source for a part; see here for a listing of some more reliable vendors for resto/repair parts.

I have had very poor dealings with Laysons. Lost orders, verbal disagreements. I am surprised Dave is still has customers.

Do the headers come with collectors also? I see the gaskets in the picture.
I am also curious on the lead time.
I am glad a company stepped up, and made these available, along with repro chrome 65 barracuda tail housings and correct black tail to body gaskets for a 65 also. No other vendor to date has these available to order.

Do the headers come with collectors also? I see the gaskets in the picture.
I am also curious on the lead time.
I am glad a company stepped up, and made these available, along with repro chrome 65 barracuda tail housings and correct black tail to body gaskets for a 65 also. No other vendor to date has these available to order.

I hope have them deliverd this week. As soon as I have the i will post a pic and my opinon about them.

thanks djakken

slantsixdan, if you know where to get those parts, do me a favor and pm me a source for reproduction tail light housings for a 65 barracuda. black rubber/plastic tail light housings to body, and someone else who makes spitfires. thanks

I don't know about that. Spitfires made a huge difference over 340 manifolds in djvcuda's 66 cuda. They may not give max power but sure an improvement over manifolds in my experience with them. .

I can personally vouch for these headers being a substantial gain over the early cast 273 manifolds, with no other changes. More torque, top end, everywhere up to 6750 rpm. And you won't burn your knuckles changing plugs either. Great plug access! You will NOT accidentally dent these, the tubes are thick. $220 shipped c.o.d. Harold was a gentleman in my case, two weeks shipping. This was a while back...

Layson's is having these headers made locally in the Seattle area. They are direct copies of Spitfires that Layson's had a jig made from a few years ago. It costs a lot of money to prototype and go into production on a set of headers that you may only sell 100 sets of. I have talked at length with the header manufacturer about these headers and he thinks that Harolds price was too good to be true. In other words, Harold had to rip off people to pay for materials and make a profit on one set. Layson's is not marking up these headers that much. Materials and shop time add up in a hurry, especially on this design.

Attachments

• 100_1578.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 1,168
  • 100_1579.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 1,128
  • 100_1580.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1,128
Got my headers on Friday. The delivery time was 10 days from Wasington State to Gothenburg, Sweden.
Looks like I expected.
Thanks Rick by Layson

Attachments

• Headers.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,120
Well congratulations. I am glad someone got good service.

Layson's is having these headers made locally in the Seattle area. They are direct copies of Spitfires that Layson's had a jig made from a few years ago. It costs a lot of money to prototype and go into production on a set of headers that you may only sell 100 sets of. I have talked at length with the header manufacturer about these headers and he thinks that Harolds price was too good to be true. In other words, Harold had to rip off people to pay for materials and make a profit on one set. Layson's is not marking up these headers that much. Materials and shop time add up in a hurry, especially on this design.

Hell for $500 ya may as well put a little more out and buy a real header. Spitfires were great for 200-250 but no way are they worth $500.

-
Back