Just purchased 340 with drive train

-

gldwing

Reaction score
I have been looking for a running 340 for a while now and hope to find decent A body to install it in.
Recently ran across one in an 1982 D150 of all things.I was leary at 1st but checked all he numbers and its a 68 build engine with correct heads. The intake has been changed but other then that it seems to be all the right stuff. Also has built 727 in it.
The truck had been sitting several years but engine wasn't stuck. Did all the pre start stuff and it started right up. Didnt run but a few mins cause carb needs rebuild and gas started running out the top.Sounded great and no smoke. Now in process of rebuding carb so I can get it smoothed out and maybe even run it in the truck for a while till I find decent body.
I found correct intake on ebay and plan to put carter carb back on it ( Holley now)
With all that being said is there better value in trying to keep it stock as far as intake and carb or just get new after market stuff?
Thanks

If its not a numbers matching car I wouldnt bother. Throw on an edelbrock air gap intake and it will save yourself a ton of weight on the front and also perform better.

I agree, can't beat the air gap or performer rpm. Is the 340 built in 68 for a 69 model?

Better stuff to put on it out there as said, but it really depends on how you value it as stock or not. I hope the oil and coolant gets a fresh change ASAP! And the fuel tank dropped and cleaned or you might be right back at reworking the carb over and over.

Matter of preference, really. In the world of trucks, it’s a great combination in a first gen Dakota short wheel base 2WD... I have seen some good builds

Better stuff to put on it out there as said, but it really depends on how you value it as stock or not. I hope the oil and coolant gets a fresh change ASAP! And the fuel tank dropped and cleaned or you might be right back at reworking the carb over and over.
Yes gonna change it all. I have been through the dirty tank nightmare before lol.

The 68-69 340 intakes are pretty good, but it’s worth changing to the airgap. I have paid $100 each for a pair of them in the last 3 years.

Great find!!!! Hope it checks out as a runner with no build necessary. No problem changing out parts, just keep the originals in case you want them later. The best of motors!! :thumbsup:

Great find!!!! Hope it checks out as a runner with no build necessary. No problem changing out parts, just keep the originals in case you want them later. The best of motors!! :thumbsup:
Yes Im hoping for it to be ok for now. May go through it later on. My 1st car was 340 Duster so Im hoping to find decent body to put it in. If not the truck will do for now.

-
Back