Just Weighed My Barracuda Notchback For The First Time

-

MobileCustoms

You can twist perceptions, reality won't budge
Reaction score
I finally got around to taking my car to a truck scale at the local grain elevator. It had about a third of a tank of gas in it and just a tad over 50 pounds of stuff in the trunk which I weighed after I got back from the scale since I forgot to empty the trunk before heading out. I was not in the car.
The car is a 67 Notch with a 340/416, 727, GV Overdrive and 8 3/4 with 3.73 gears. Wheels are steel Cragars with 295/55/15 on back and 155/80/15 on front. Iron heads, aluminum intake, Full exhaust with Doug's Headers, disc brakes up from, drums in the rear. No Power steering or brakes, no AC. I have high back bucket seats from a 73 duster, Bench rear and an automatic console. Full carpet with mass backing and lots of sound deadener as well as Lizard Skin sound deadener sprayed on the underside with sub frame connectors from US Cartool.
I tried to build it for cruising comfort as well as some good power for fun.
I think that pretty much covers what we're weighing here.

Weight came in at 3360 lbs minus the the 50 pounds of stuff in the trunk for a net weight of 3310 lbs without me in it.
Just wanted to share my actual real world results since i see numbers all over the place posted here. Scale was last certified in January of this year.
Cheers!

20240718_150150.jpg

20240527_211830.jpg

20240625_124522.jpg

20240625_124756.jpg

20240718_162343.jpg

Keep in mind that most of those over-the-road scales and landfill scales are in 20# increments. Short of racing scales that is probably the best you are going to get.

Alan

Thanks. The engine block, valve covers and MSD all have the same paint with gold pearl in it that I used on the car. It's held up extremely well. PPG paint and clear with epoxy primer.
I see 2 tone valve covers? Like your front end.

That's about right on the money. I really like that car. It's beautiful.

My 67 dart convertible

Came in at 3365 with 2/3 tank of gas, me (250 lbs) and 50 lbs of junk in the trunk.

Keep in mind that most of those over-the-road scales and landfill scales are in 20# increments. Short of racing scales that is probably the best you are going to get.

Alan
Yeah, I figure maybe I'll try to hit another scale somewhere, sometime, just to compare and make sure it's not 200lbs off or something. I'm not too worried about splittin' hairs though.

Yeah, I figure maybe I'll try to hit another scale somewhere, sometime, just to compare and make sure it's not 200lbs off or something. I'm not too worried about splittin' hairs though.
To be honest, I was hoping it would be lighter.... but my guess before I saw your number was 150 lbs heavy.
I would LOVE to have a set of wheel scales, a bunch more accurate and informative than a truck or racetrack scale.... but I just can't justify the crazy price, just to weigh a few cars.

The racecar garages that are part of our 1/2mi roundyround/1/8mi strip have wheel scales, and will weigh my Opel when I'm ready. Twenty bucks, and I'm gonna throw in a twelve of bud light (lol).

My 67 fastback weighs 3740 with me in it- according to the scale at Bandimere. (weighed last year)
My car has mild steel 8 point roll bar, sub frame connectors, aluminum headed 440, Strange S-60. Fiberglass hood and decklid. I'm a large mammal @ 240lbs. So, car by iteslf is around 3500

My 67 fastback weighs 3740 with me in it- according to the scale at Bandimere. (weighed last year)
My car has mild steel 8 point roll bar, sub frame connectors, aluminum headed 440, Strange S-60. Fiberglass hood and decklid. I'm a large mammal @ 240lbs. So, car by iteslf is around 3500
That's not bad, for a bar car with a big block and a dana.

My Big block '68 Fastback with my fat self in drivers seat was 3400 even, less my 220 lbs 3180. Indy heads, aluminum water pump housing, aluminum radiator, 6 point bar, sub frame connectors, heater, backseat, radio delete. 6 pack glass hood.

Sounds write, figured the 727 and 8 3/4 adds up compared to an 8 1/4 and 904 ? Hope my hits 2.900 to 3.000 360, 8 1/4 and 904.
I love this Barracuda, enjoyed watching it grow threw out the years, nicely done for sure :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

My 67 fastback weighs 3740 with me in it- according to the scale at Bandimere. (weighed last year
You were at Bandamere and did not look us up?

PXL_20230820_191206953.jpg

If you happens to see the red and blue 67 dart convert race... That was us!

Sounds write, figured the 727 and 8 3/4 adds up compared to an 8 1/4 and 904 ? Hope my hits 2.900 to 3.000 360, 8 1/4 and 904.
I love this Barracuda, enjoyed watching it grow threw out the years, nicely done for sure :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
66 Plymouth sedan

FB_IMG_1721314448538.jpg

Thanks, Mike! You've seen it in many stages of progression and disarray, for sure! Along with my various cuts, scrapes, bruises and header burns on my arms from wrenching on it just to get it to the next show at Mopars In The Park. Blood, Sweat & Beers! Many, many beers. LOL

Thanks, Mike! You've seen it in many stages of progression and disarray, for sure! Along with my various cuts, scarpaes, bruise and header burns from wrenching on it just to get it to the next show at Mopars In The Park. Blood, Sweat & Beers! Many, many beers. LOL
Yep, its been a great time, most the time anyway :lol:, its a peice of art and strength now :thumbsup:

Absolutely beautiful! I love our fastback, but love nachos more. Those tires wheels are perfect. Minitub? Relocation?

Absolutely beautiful! I love our fastback, but love nachos more. Those tires wheels are perfect. Minitub? Relocation?
Thanks. No mini tubs. or spring relocation, although I did shim the front spring perches back 7/16" in order to help center the wheels in the open a little better. I also have 3/8" spacers on the wheels to move them out from the springs. I also flipped the spring perches to lower it a little, since the ESPO Plus 1 inch springs raised it more than I thought they would.
Edit: I'm going to remove the rear wheel spacers since switching my rear tires from 295/50/15 to the drag radials on it now which are 295/55/15. For some reason, I have more inner clearance to the leaf springs now with these tires and I just noticed the the tires rubbed on the quarter panel lip a little bit today. Right now, there's a good 3/4" of clearance to the leaf springs, so removing the 3/8" wheel spacers should set them just right again.

20240622_180501.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back