K-Frame Bolt Size

-

DusterRT

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've got a quick question that has been hard to answer so far:

I need to know the size/pitch of the big K-frame to frame rail bolts!

I sold off my suspension for books one semester, now that I've graduated it has paid off with a job that will let me restore my Duster in a somewhat timely fashion..but she's gonna have to move 2200 miles with me! Need to fab up some sort of dolly to get it on and off a transport truck...I'll become more and more active as my project comes out of its comatose-like state!

Thanks in advance!!
Travis

Oh, and it's for a '71 Duster if it matters. I'd measure myself, but it's a bit far away in storage at the moment, I'd like to just make one trip to install it..

The factory K frame bolts have a centering collar to locate and center the frame (at least on the earlier a body's 67-69, surely Dusters would be the same??). I don't think regular bolts will center the frame properly, hopefully someone else will chime in on this. I'm sure regular bolts will work fine to move it around but I'm not sure about driving it that way.

If you just want or need to fab up a dolly to move it, then you don't need the K-member bolts (which do have a special shoulder on them to properly locate the member). I made one from angle iron (an old bed frame actually) and casters. It bolts to the bumper bracket holes.

Dolly01.jpg

Here's what I wound up with..a wood K-Frame! Kinda redneck but it got the job done and was dirt cheap & easy to put together. I had to fab it up 40 miles away from the car using the FSM for dimensions between the bolt centers but it all went without a hitch thankfully (I was hopping on a plane to move to Washington for my new job the next morning, very little margin for error! The next project is moving the SOB 2200 miles out here, lol). It's exactly what it looks like..a couple of 2x4's stuck together with drywall screws and a couple HD castors bolted to the ends with carriage bolts. Crude but effective as they say.

DSC00346.jpg

DSC00345.jpg

DSC00364.jpg

DSC00363.jpg

I'm planning on fabbing something like this up & need to know how strong the casters need to be. Can anybody give me an approximate weight for the front end of the car minus the K frame & front suspension?

Figure 55% or so of your curb weight, maybe 750# each or more. Don't know what mine are rated at, but I got them at Lowe's..5" I think they are, and have held up fine just sitting there and moving on/off trailers but you see how complete my car is right now..

I was out kicking around in the garage this afternoon & I have a couple of cheap 4 wheel engine dollies I bought way back that are rated at 750 lbs each.

http://www.homier.com/detail.asp?Se...G++1OZP0Tm1CZCf5uQw3ezGPc&dpt=&cat=&sku=05160

I think I might just build something with wood across between them & set it on that. I just want something to move it around in the shop & maybe out onto the driveway once in a while. I had found some nice pneumatic casters at a farm supply store that were about 10" in diameter that I wanted to use but they were rated at 300 lbs each & I think that's pushing my luck.

neccesity is the mother of invention I moved this carport 5 blocks on 4 scaffold casters

Once you are ready to put the k frame back on I think I have a set of bolts you can have.

-
Back