K-frame engine Cradle/Jig

-

daves66valiant

68 Dart 340/727:66 Signet Vert 340/5spd: 68 D100
Reaction score
I've started to build a K-frame/engine cradle for my early A-body so I can install the 340, tranny, headers, k-frame, and disc brakes and other suspension components all at once. This would be done by raising the front end with an engine hoist and lowering the body onto the craddle. Zap in four k-frame bolts and then 4 tranny mount bolts an I'm done. Would totally avoid scratching the new paint and all the problems with the tti headers for the early-a-body.

Has anyone on this forum built one of these before and used it? I found a few photos from some resto shops to get an idea of how to do it. Any pictures, advice or comments would be great. Thanks in advance.

-Dave

Photos of what I'm talking about
install-motor-03.jpg

install-motor-02.jpg

yeah, that sucker is a little pricey $400. Started to build one with my existing engine stand. I looked at their video and it looks really cool but I do not have a car hoist in my backyard.

I'm no fabricator, but it doesn't look that hard to make something like that. It's gotta be easier than a rotisserie, and lots of people make those and there are all kinds of plans on the net for a rotisserie.

The photos above show an engine hoist lifting the car, maybe that's all you need? I'll think about this whole procedure when it's time to put the 318 back into the '69 Deviant project....

dave,, all that fab work you did for the tunnel, im sure you can rol a fully dressed motor,,under a car with a engine hoist picking up the car like in this pic,,,,looks to me like they made a frame to bolt to the bumper bracket holes, and it is out far enough they left the hood on,,up roll it in,, down,,,4 bolt in the K 4 bolts in the tranny member,,,add oil,,,,slide in drive shaft,, ull be driving in a few hours,,,

Why not try to eliminate the stand and fab some atachments with wheels to bolt directly to the k frame and remove when installed.

65s said:
I'm no fabricator, but it doesn't look that hard to make something like that. It's gotta be easier than a rotisserie, and lots of people make those and there are all kinds of plans on the net for a rotisserie.

The photos above show an engine hoist lifting the car, maybe that's all you need? I'll think about this whole procedure when it's time to put the 318 back into the '69 Deviant project....

I already have an engine hoist and I just figured something out that should work perfectly. These little a-bodies are really light. I pick up the front end of my parts car (which is just a shell) all the time and moved it around myself with the rear still in it. I bet the front bumper brackets that connect to the frame rails can be used. It sticks out about 8 inches and they are pretty beefy. I could link the two front bumper brackets with a chain, then lift the front end with the hoist. I seriously doubt the bracket would bend since the car and front end will be empty. This will keep the hoist arm from raising too high as well. I'm going to try it this way and see how it goes. :toothy7:

sounds like a plan dave,,,,,,,,when wil the car be back from paint???? what color????? pic pic picsssss

fstfish66 said:
sounds like a plan dave,,,,,,,,when wil the car be back from paint???? what color????? pic pic picsssss

Million dollar question. He's a solo guy and has to feed him family. I am going there Monday morning to check things out. Really hoping that the door jams and engine are painted Dark Blue Poly aka Midnight Metallic Blue. It's getting really hard not having my car back since it is almost summer and all the car shows and cruise nights are happening. Soon enough..just need to continue being patient. :blah5:

dave ive heard so many horror stories about cars being at a paint shop for years,, i dont know why they dont just get it done and get payed,mve to the next job,,,,hope you get it back,,sooon

-
Back