K frame swap 69 to 73

-

Tytansfamily

Reaction score
I have a 69 bcuda that has the 6 cyl in it and would like to roll a 73 dart swinger front end and brakes and power steering under the 69 a body, I'm sure it's been done a thousand times but can I hear some reassurance on the swap!

I've got a complete 73-76 K-member in my 68 Barracuda.

The 67-72 factory auto trans cooling lines are different geometry routing for 73-76.

If you add a 73-76 front sway bar with factory sway bar tabbed lower control arms (or fabbed tabs), your front mounted calipers will clear since it's just like the factory setup.

Uh, well, "it's a bolt in.". I would swap the spindles and put the calipers on the rear "jus because."

If you now have a sway bar (see post above), you'll either have to (minor) fab a mount for the old sway bar, or (less minor) rework the tabs or change LCA to fit. Since you seem to have a complete front end, this might not be a problem.

As an old beat up guy with arthritis, even I managed to pull this off. 'Course, I have a hoist LOL

Thanks for the input, much appreciated! Maybe one more question. So the power steer will hook up to the 69 bcuda steer column with what coupler? Will the 73 steer coupler mate to the 69 column? Got both a 273 from a 66 coronet 2 barrel or a 318 from a 84 dynasty 2 barrel to put in it for now just not sure which one!

yes the couplers will interchange.

The only issue you may have is with the steering column itself. The manual steering column is longer then the power steering column.. But if both the same it is a direct change. The gearboxes themselves are interchangeable, but it does run into which pitman arm to use :)

I would go 318 as they are more readily available for parts

You can mix and match. Front end parts "dependencies" come in groups

The K itself determines the type of engine mounts, and with a factory sway bar, is designed to use a 73 / later sway bar IN the K member, requiring later lower arms, or home fabricated tabs

The steering link is mostly determined by the spline size on the steering box. So steering box, pitman, idler, and steering link all must "go" together. All other parts are independent of this group

Your upper arms and both sets of ball joints depends on drum / disk brakes and the spindles.

The only K which is "by itself" is my original 67 which had a one year only idler mount. You could fab brackets to use a later idler arm.

complete underneath frame/brakes/control arms/steering components etc off a 74 dart in my( i know not a bcuda) 70 dart. very simple straight forward swap. I did buy all new control arms/ball joints/tie rods/pit man and idler arm

i do have a extra 318 oil pan and spool mounts.

-
Back