K frame swap question

-

USCG CHARGER

Reaction score
I have a 67 Barracuda v8 k frame that I want to swap w/my s/6 k frame on my 73 Swinger. Will this swap work? I know that the motor mounts a different but will it be a direct bolt up? Do I need to move the entire front end meaning....idler arm, center link, etc. I have 73 dart swinger disc brakes and a manuel steering box that are gonna bolt up to the 67 v8 k frame as well is that gonna be a problem?

I want to do this swap and put my 318 thats in my Swinger in the 67 K frame until my 5.7L is ready to be installed. The 318 is in the s/6 frame now using schmachers kit but I'm gonna have to change the K frame eventually to get the Hemi in there.

Thanks guyz
Jason

I do believe it is what you want. A direct swap in with no mods to worry about.

Wait on more replies for the been there done that.

I have a question.....What if I take a 73 V8 K frame and cut the spool mounts off and just weld the biscuit mount on...

Do yourself a favor and leave the spool mounts on there. They are easier to find replacements for and they will last longer. Unless you want to drill and put a bolt through the biscuit type like I did then the best thing to do is stay with the spool type. If you insist on using the biscuit type then I would find a 72 earlier k member and then go get the front brakes off of an Aspen or Volare and use them for the disc BBP. I did it on my 73 Duster with 75 Aspen brakes. No problems.

I have the front disc brakes off the 73 swinger. The only reason I want biscuit mounts is b/c I already purchased the motor mounts from TTI to fit the 5.7L Hemi and they are only for biscuit style mounts. So I figured the easiest thing would be to either get the enitire front off the 67 barracuda and change everything or pick up a cheap 1973 and up v8 K frame cut the spools off and weld biscuit mounts on. By doing this I don't have to change the pittman arm location or change the idler arm nor center link. Does that sound right?

Jason

You could just use the 67 K-Member with the 73 disks, I would. This keeps the biscuit type mounts. The spool mounts on the 73 K-Member are a superior design, but since it is a /6 K-Member it's a moot point. The 67 K-member had a one-year-only idler arm, but the pitman arm is the same from 67-72. Nothing really wrong with the 67 idler arm, just keep that in mind when you order parts.

If you were going to cut the spool mounts off a '73 up k-member why not do this to a /6 one instead of ruining a V8 one? Everything is the same on the /6 and V8 ones except for the mount location which doesn't matter if you are going to cut them off.

Chuck

-
Back