K-member modification

-

terry

Reaction score
Hi folks does anyone have a link to modify a slant 6 k member for a 440 ? i already have the shumaker brackets and the k-member has been notched for the oil pump. but there should be areas of the k-member that should have gussets added along with the reweld of the terrible factory welding. i did look at the schumaker web sight but did not seed anything.
thanks
terry

There really isn't anything that I know of. Somebody (Firm Feel, I think) was selling a stiffening kit and it probably comes with instructions, but take your k-member and clean it and weld up the seams and look at any other area that you see that might need strengthening. The basic strength of the k-member is the same no matter which engine it was made to support.

Firm Feel offers a K-member reinforcing service, you can go to their website and see what they do to stiffen the K's.

Not sure if they sell the plate kit that they use anymore, I bought one off of eBay awhile back. But, if you're going to be doing the welding anyway, then you're probably capable of making the braces that they weld in. It's just 1/8" steel plate, and where they need to go is fairly obvious, although there are pictures of fully reinforced K-members at Firm Feels website.

I'm almost finished with the '71 K for my EL5 Dart. I TIG welded most of mine, but that's just because I have a TIG. It was really eye-opening to me just how BAD the factory welds are. I'm also about to start on a '73 style K, it already had cracks at the steering box mount. That's probably the most important area to reinforce, although fully seam welding them can't hurt. :D

thanks for the input. it is just amazing how bad the welds are on the k=member from the factory. i wouldn't feel safe if i had a lawnmower engine bolted to it.

Firm Feel still sells the reinforcement pieces for k-members. I just purchased a set.

-
Back