K-Member question

-

'67barracuda

inaiana cuda
Reaction score
I found a small block k-member in a local salvage yard from a 73 dart, at least that is what they told me anyway, it has disk brakes on it and appears to be in good shape, can this be used in my 67 barracuda to replace the /6 k-member that i have now? if not what years do i need to be looking for? any help would be greatly appreciated.

dale

Yes, it can be used. Keep the steering gear and steering linkage from the 73, too. You can use your steering components, though, if you use a 68-72 idler arm.

No you can't use that. I strongly advise that you take the whole setup, box it up and ship it to me, I'll make sure it doesn't hurt any one.

no? oh well, worth a shot. :cheers:

That's the exact setup I'm looking for to put on my Scamp. You'll be happy with it. Jim's right, 67's had the weaker "sandwich type" idler arm mount as well as motor mounts. 68 and up had the bolt through idler arm design.

Nice find!

thanks for the help guys, moparmarcus i know of another one in a yard by my house, it's a little more money but if you want the number of the yard i can send it to you.

dale

If you use the 73 draglink you'll need the steering gear and pitman arm since those are different too. The pitman and idler you have now ( 67 ) load to the drag link from bottom up ( grease fittings toward ground ). The 73 is just the opposite.
It would be easier to use the steering gear, pitman arm and draglink from the 67 and buy a 68 idler arm.

thanks for the help guys, moparmarcus i know of another one in a yard by my house, it's a little more money but if you want the number of the yard i can send it to you.

dale

yeah please, just pm me with the details. I didn't realize these were so hard to find, in good shape anyway. So far I passed on a couple of really nice ones for about $125 because I thought they were too expensive. I only paid $100 for a Big block B body frame a couple years ago. Then I missed a really nice one on ebay that went for $102.00 because I fell asleep on the day of the auction ending.

I found a small block k-member in a local salvage yard from a 73 dart, at least that is what they told me anyway, it has disk brakes on it and appears to be in good shape, can this be used in my 67 barracuda to replace the /6 k-member that i have now? if not what years do i need to be looking for? any help would be greatly appreciated.

dale

Gentlemen, please help me!!!

I have acquired my high school 67 barracuda ragtop. It is in bad, bad, bad shape. I am looking to replace the suspension/brakes/steering - the works. I see for the thread a 73 dart will work. What else can be swapped with little modification or use of a torch..??? Again, I am new at the A-Body thing.

Any & all help would be much appreciated.

Also, I am in need of any website links that will help with interior stuff (pretty much everything but the…. Well everything [ha ha]) and exterior front & rear panels and chrome…

Again, any * all help would be much appreciated…

DL

Legendary Interiors and Year One will have soft trim like seat covers, etc..
Hard interior parts like seat frames, consoles, handles, etc.. have their sources too. Google search is a good way to find suppliers of reproduction stuff.
But please dont ask general questions and / or expand the topics.
Questions about interior go in a different place from this originally
K member question.
Forums will answer all or your how to questions when removing and installing the parts. Good luck

Yes, it can be used. Keep the steering gear and steering linkage from the 73, too. You can use your steering components, though, if you use a 68-72 idler arm.
Jim, isn't the steering gear arm unique in '67 V8?

I have a 75 K-frame setup like the one you describe under the Demon. The disk brakes will be BBP. Don't know how you want to handle the discrepancy between the BBP fronts and the SBP rears (assuming you have a 72 or older rear axle in the car).

thanks everyone. it seems i have a lot of research to do.

love the forum - it has been very helpful.

'67 slant six cars use a one-year old bayonet style idler arm. Very expensive for what it isn't (POS); I believe the V-8 one is the same '67-'72. It is a bolt-through style. Check part numbers just to make sure

On a cost perspective, use everything you can off the '73 and up car. It all bolts in. Use the steering box as well if it's the same style as yours, the pitman arms are 1/2 the price of a '68-'72.
I did this swap last year on my '69 Valiant 2 door post and it works great. Twice the stopping power or more than the 9" pos set up in there before. And easy to get parts as well.:cheers:
Good luck.
Tom.

'67 slant six cars use a one-year old bayonet style idler arm. Very expensive for what it isn't (POS); I believe the V-8 one is the same '67-'72. It is a bolt-through style. Check part numbers just to make sure

Nope. ALL 67 a-bodies used the SAME single stud mounting on the idler arm, even the 383 cars.

There you go...skip the '67 one all together! "J-U-N-K," in MHO; I am doing a '73-up K member in my Valiant like Dartnut has w/the 12" rotors off a St.Regis cop car and the pin calipers from a '75 Charger (aka "Cordoba"). Bang for the buck that is really hard to beat.

-
Back