K-memeber ??

-

fostersnc

Reaction score
I have a 67 Valiant that came stock with the 273. I'm looking at a 75 Valiant slant 6 car for the K-member, so I can do away with the 67's odd steering Idle-arm. My question is there any difference in the K-members between the stock slant 6 to the V-8 or is it just getting the proper engine mounts???

Thanks for the help.

Rare parts in Calif has those idler and pitman arms. I got mine from them for my 65 & 66 A bodies. It would be a lot easier to just put the right stuff in your existing K . No? Ed

Yes there is allot of info there. A friend of mine is going to order their mount for his 66 Valiant to go from a /6 to V8.

valiantwagonguy Rare parts in Calif has those idler and pitman arms. I got mine from them for my 65 & 66 A bodies. It would be a lot easier to just put the right stuff in your existing K . No? Ed

It just depends. Im not a part number must match type of guy. I wouldn't mind keeping it the 67 but the parts are harder to find and I really dont like the idea of having to always order parts and wait. When I pull the 67 K-member out it will go up in storage and kept. The new K-member will be cleaned and rebuilt with all new steering and suspension parts. So it will be installed quicker and hopefully with less probs.

DARTCUDA my cousin is swapping out the slant6 of his 65 Valiant SW over to a 273 V-8.

If you can, gusset the k-member at the p/s mounts, the lower suspension mounting spots, weld up the perimeter of the k-member...tighten 'er up and maybe throw a box from a cop car in there! WHEEEE, doggy.

I'm afraid I don't follow the logic in removing a V-8 K member to put a slant six unit in its place so you can buy special engine mounts to in stall a V-8. You said you are going to remove the K member anyway, some just clean, inspect and rebuild the one you have. You can still get almost everything to rebuild a front end at the local parts house. Also, tell your cousin that the K frames for early A-bodys (63 thru 66) are the same for Slants and V-8's. No need to do any swap outs. RICK

I agree with Dago Red, thats like going backwards. the only thing dif on a 67 K-frame, compared to a 68 and up unit is the idler arm mount(which can be beefed up).I'd keep the 67 K-frame.
Dave C.

-
Back