kaboom

-

Demon_Dan

Reaction score
Well i was driving the demon on this great beautiful hot NJ sunday at about 60 miles an hour i locked up... shut the car down and pulled over...my driveshaft sheared off at the rear and blew a hole in the top of the only 3 years old TCI tranny..im so pissed. so anyway i am now looking for a driveshaft and assembly as well as a used 727 semi locally...looks like my cruise season is shot =(. with the economy the way it is and bills it appears this might be the Demons time to get covered for 20 years until i can come up with the money to really get this thing roaring again..
:disgust:

If it sheared at the rear end, you may need to check into that rear. It sounds like the problem originated there.

here is some pics of what i picked up off the road

IMG00055-20090426-1838.jpg

IMG00056-20090426-1838.jpg

IMG00057-20090426-1839.jpg

IMG00058-20090426-1839.jpg

IMG00059-20090426-1839.jpg

:angry7:

you've got me ..it just went boom ...at this point im happy the motor diddnt blow up too

who balanced your driveshaft?,never seen washer welded on like that before.i'd be interested in knowing that myself.

who balanced your driveshaft?,never seen washer welded on like that before.i'd be interested in knowing that myself.
That could be a factory balance. I have half a dozen driveshafts and a couple are weighted like that.

Sorry to hear your troubles,I,d also check rear.I,ve never seen a driveshaft sheared off so clean,usually there,s a tear.What happened to your tranny?

YEa, I have questions about the weld on the driveshaft. Also, was it a poor weld or did something induce it to tear off like that?

I'm going to have to guess that the tranny siezed judging by the pieces of clutch basket. If the rear siezed you wouldn't be able to move it off the road, unless a tooth broke off and just seized it for a second but that shouldn't have blown the tranny out like that.

Keep us posted.

First thing I'd do is jack up the *** end and see if the rear is free turning. The only time I've seen a yoke broke loose from the drive shaft tube was because of a faulty weld job which is what I would guess happened here. Take a good look at the weld at the end of the tube and yoke and see if it's a shiny clean break 360 degrees around or is the break only clean partially and there is also an old rusty line that would indicate an old crack. The tranny damage could be because you oversped her for a split second when the drive shaft came loose. Sorry for your loose.:angry7:

Terry

Sorry to hear of your problem there Demon Dan. I agree with Ramcharger that I'd suspect a problem in the trans first. Even if the rearend did lock up I can't imagine it blowing the trans apart. After all you can be flying down the road and slam the brakes on and lock the back wheels solid and I've never seen a trans blown apart from that. Back when I was a kid we'd do that all the time doing Burt Reynolds 180's. Also If the rearend did lock up you wouldn't have been able to just shut down the engine and pull over. The back wheels would have skidded all the way.

BTW: I'm not condoning anyone doing 180's like I described earlier. Me and my buddies did alot of dumb things as kids.

-
Back