Keg's 73 Resto-MOD

-

Kegerator

73 Duster 360/904 - Plum Crazy
Reaction score
Firstly, I know there's going to be lots of purists that hate what I'm doing. Too bad. The car came to me with the stock engine upgraded to a 360 with a ton of parts in the trunk. I'm making it how I want it. I don't care about how you would do it.

These first few photos are how I got it. I'm still working on it, but I'm nearing the end of the process.

Duster Before.jpg

interior before.jpg

engine bay before.jpg

The rust and crappy "repairs" from the previous owner (who swears he had nothing to do with the crap "repair" job)

another crappy patch.jpg

crappy patch.jpg

crazy hole.jpg

Duster ID plate.jpg

rust holes in the side.jpg

rusty floor.jpg

This smelled soooo bad. It was between the headliner and the roof. Remarkably, no rust on the roof.

headliner rats nest.jpg

All new bushings and ball joints on the front end. I had to go to the Dodge dealer, cause no one had a ball joint socket that fit.

new suspension and brakes.jpg

suspension ripped out.jpg

Some interior upgrades. I've got a new gauge cluster too... I'll get more pics uploaded later.

new rear seats.jpg

new seats.jpg

seat w electric.jpg

steering wheel.jpg

Was it originally FC9 Plum Crazy? Pretty rare, but I'm with you. It's your car, build it to please yourself. Following, you've made great progress already.

Was it originally FC9 Plum Crazy? Pretty rare, but I'm with you. It's your car, build it to please yourself. Following, you've made great progress already.

It was a Gold Duster. Someone did a full paint at some point and did it Plum Crazy. There's still some gold under the back seat and in the trunk. I'll be doing it all Plum Crazy again. I'm not pulling the engine back out again, though.

I sanded the body down to metal.. slowly over a few days. I only found the one other bit of rust that wasn't bubbling through already. I felt quite relieved! I'm disabled, btw, so these photos are over the last year or so when I feel like I can do a couple hours worth of work. I just hit the body with a single coat of Rustoleum paint n primer in one to keep it from rusting until I get it to a paint shop. I'm trying to do as much as I can to save money... I'm just livin on VA disablity, so...

another hole.jpg

hole cut out.jpg

mid sanding and sealing.jpg

more sanding to metal.jpg

patch in.jpg

rear sanding.jpg

sanding to metal.jpg

This was a nightmare trying to get the sheetmetal the same angles... so much time with a hammer. Hard to tell in the photo, but... just trust me, cheaping out is not the easy road. Side note, the DC Titanium Mig welder from harbor freight is tits. It does better on sheet metal than the thousand dollar Hobart that was stolen from me a few years back.

rear quarter cut open.jpg

rear quarter patch piece.jpg

rear quarter patched.jpg

The exhaust the previous owner had put on was super simple, but it had a really sharp painful note that just wasn't enjoyable... and it looked dumb. I got the A-body 3 in exhaust from Jegs for $239.00 It's the same diameter as the headers, so... I figured why neck it down? (spoilers... I got it running and it sounds incredible - nice deep rumble) It exits right there under the car. You can probably see the new stainless braided fuel lines I ran from the brand new fuel tank.

new exhaust.jpg

old exhaust.jpg

This gauge cluster came from Classic Dash. The wiring was really easy. In addition to seeing the original Gold in the back there, you can see how simple the wiring looks when finished. (they provided a new temp and oil sensor as well as a gps sensor for the speedo. Volt gauge instead of ammeter.) I added that little detail there on the column since I don't have column shift.

column painted.jpg

gauge cluster wiring.jpg

new gauge cluster.jpg

first off, thank you for your service

secondly...its your car, make it what you want to

I'm sure ya'll know what a stock grille looks like. I cut out a bunch of the rectangles and put the cross hatch in there. The new turn signal lenses are subtle when you glance at it, but... I think it was worth the time. BTW, if you sand curves into plexiglass, you can make it crystal clear again with a butane kitchen torch! (propane is too hot and ruins the plastic.)

front grille finished.jpg

lens installed in grille.jpg

turn signal lenses.jpg

I'm a bit of a purist, but I like what you're doing. What you've done so far looks great. I love the B-E Body consoles with the Slap-Stik. I like the Demon carbs, too. Keep up the good work.

I'm a bit of a purist, but I like what you're doing. What you've done so far looks great. I love the B-E Body consoles with the Slap-Stik. I like the Demon carbs, too. Keep up the good work.
I guess I can say I'm a Mopar purist... You won't see any Chevy or Ford parts. The Barracuda center console didn't fit as well as I'd like. I pulled it back out. I'm working on a custom center console with cup holders. I'm definitely keeping the Slap stick. It's amazing.

I like it so far! Just a word of caution about your exhaust. Most states have laws regarding the exhaust exiting out from under the passenger compartment. Yours does not.....so just be prepared. There's always that one a hole cop. lol

I like it so far! Just a word of caution about your exhaust. Most states have laws regarding the exhaust exiting out from under the passenger compartment. Yours does not.....so just be prepared. There's always that one a hole cop. lol
You're 100% right. It's been on the back of my mind for a while. I'm contemplating something custom sending it back out the side, since I plan to take her cross country. The rumbly sound from under the car just can't be beat.

You're 100% right. It's been on the back of my mind for a while. I'm contemplating something custom sending it back out the side, since I plan to take her cross country. The rumbly sound from under the car just can't be beat.

I know, I've always loved it too.....but trust me when I say it gets old long term. lol

Very cool build. Keep up the good work! And by the looks of the rear tires it does righteous burnouts too! You gotta be psyched about that.

Very cool build. Keep up the good work! And by the looks of the rear tires it does righteous burnouts too! You gotta be psyched about that.
Yeah, the previous owner shredded the 7.25 rear doing those burnouts. I'm having a 8.75 built right now.

I like what you're doing, absolutely nothing wrong with making it what you want, I commend you for having the patience to keep at it when you are limited to only a few hours at a time. Nice work, keep it going.
Thank you for your service.

-
Back