Keisler Opinions

-

71Duster

Reaction score
Pretty much conviinced myself 3 pedals is more fun then 2, but where I stand is an 833 with the Passon OD gear set or spend a few more bucks for the Keisler 5 speed.

I want to go on longer trips with the car but keep in fun in town. I'd like to know from guys who have put the kit in and run one/rode in one etc what there thoughts are.

Surprises etc

I had the OD 833 for a few years. It does give you a huge rpm drop from gear to gear. With a mild (torquey) cam you can live with it. I ended up getting the Keisler kit last year. The TKO is a better trans and shifts easier. The ratios are great. It is a big job to install though and a really tight fit in an A body. I ended up using a different trans mount to gain an extra 1/4 inch of clearance. That changed my drive shaft angle. I will be putting shims on the leaf springs next. All in all I would not want to go back to four gears after having the TKO.

I had the OD 833 for a few years. It does give you a huge rpm drop from gear to gear. With a mild (torquey) cam you can live with it. I ended up getting the Keisler kit last year. The TKO is a better trans and shifts easier. The ratios are great. It is a big job to install though and a really tight fit in an A body. I ended up using a different trans mount to gain an extra 1/4 inch of clearance. That changed my drive shaft angle. I will be putting shims on the leaf springs next. All in all I would not want to go back to four gears after having the TKO.

TKO is NOT a better trans. It is a different trans.

I put one in my 69 Dart Swinger. It's sweet to drive and I can cruise at just over 2000 rpm on the highway with 355 gears. It is a very tight fit and you have to cut a bunch out of the hump but it all worked out ok for me. I did have to shift my motor forward about a 1/4 inch. Did this spacing the mounts on the block with washers.

-
Back