Keisler TKO500 in console car?

-

NukeBass

Reaction score
**Not sure if this is the right forum for this question, so please move it if it isn't**

I bought a Keisler TKO-500 to put in my 73 Duster with a console. I wanted the SS400, but when I went to order it, Keisler had just found out that the A-body model that they had designed on paper didn't consider a crossmember or something and didn't fit up right. Anyway, I went with the TKO. Keisler doesn't have any console shifters, so I recently went and bought a console shifter from Brewers (I could have sworn the guy from Keisler told me it should fit, but I could be wrong).

The shop rebuilding my car contacted me yesterday and said the shifter I bought wouldn't work and that he may even have to move the console a little bit due to the way the transmission is lined up (the car was an automatic car and I don't know if that plays into it a little since the TKO uses its own hump and all).

Does anyone here have experience putting one of these transmissions in a console car? The shop is going to get everything fitted up and aligned so that they'll be able to look for handles, but I figured I'd ask if anyone has any experience or good ideas.

Thanks!

I have no experience, but some ideas from what I've seen...

The factory console shifter was designed for a shiter that exited the floor to the drivers side of the trans. The shifter relocates actual lever under the console by a sideways bar.

The TKO transmissions that I have seen i vehicles exit the floor right smack dab in the middle of the tunnel. I am guessing further back than the factory 4spd top usually places it. Not a big deal really, you just may need a custom shifter. instead of a shifter that bolts to the trans and moves the lever portion sideways (like factory), you will need to move the lever portion forward or backward.

As far as the console on the new hump, it will be higher in the front, I'm guessing you just need to reweld the factory mounts to it. You may need to raise or move the rear mount to accommodate the height of the front (level it). Really, depending on seat location for the driver, you may wanna just move the console forward/back to accommodate the shifter issue...

Good luck, and give us some pics of this install... PLEASE...

JOE

I'll get pictures as soon as I get back up there to see the car. That will hopefully be soon. I just don't want to wind up with some goofy looking shifter. Although, with the mods, maybe the shop will be able to figure a way to get a pistol grip in there :)

Here's a picture of the hump installed in place. The shop is still waiting on the motor so that he can mount up the motor and transmission. From there he will see how much the console has to move.

Attachments

• P1050055.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 179
-
Back