Kelsey Hayes brake spindle?

-

Zcuda68

Reaction score
I'm sure it's in here somewhere. I have the 5 on 4 Kelsey Hayes disc setup, which I got when I bought the car as extra parts. Which none of it can be used. I'd like to go to a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern anyways. I understand that I need the 10" drum spindle to convert to 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern using large ball joint setup, which I'm going to. Will these spindles work or are they wrong ones?
Thanks in advance barracuda newb.

Maybe someone with Wilwoods will chime in but I believe the Wilwood brake kits do use the OEM 10 inch drum brake spindle. If you have a 68 Cuda, that year drum spindle would have the small upper ball joint so you could still use your existing uca’s. To go big ball joint you would have to use 73+ drum spindles and uca’s, or I think Dr. Diff still offers a sleeve that will adapt a big ball joint to a small ball joint uca.

Maybe someone with Wilwoods will chime in but I believe the Wilwood brake kits do use the OEM 10 inch drum brake spindle. If you have a 68 Cuda, that year drum spindle would have the small upper ball joint so you could still use your existing uca’s. To go big ball joint you would have to use 73+ drum spindles and uca’s, or I think Dr. Diff still offers a sleeve that will adapt a big ball joint to a small ball joint uca.

So what I'm gathering is the K.H. 5 on 4 disc brake spindles are a no go for the wilwood setup unless I get a sleeve from Dr. Diff. Or just get 73 to 76 A body 10" drum spindles? Is this all correct?

Thanks for the fast response guys. Just trying to figure this all out, prob gonna order wilwood setup Friday.

So what I'm gathering is the K.H. 5 on 4 disc brake spindles are a no go for the wilwood setup unless I get a sleeve from Dr. Diff. Or just get 73 to 76 A body 10" drum spindles? Is this all correct?

Thanks for the fast response guys. Just trying to figure this all out, prob gonna order wilwood setup Friday.
I guess that I'm confused - Disc vs Drum. -- What I was wondering -- Is there a way to convert My Kelsey Hays, front, disc brakes from 5 on 4 to 5 on 4.5 without changing uca etc. ??

I looked at the Wilwood website and believe you have two options but I would recommend you check with them to be sure. I do not see ANY option where Wilwood systems will work with your KH spindles.

Option 1: Wilwood Front Brake Kit Part No.: 140-11023-DR. You would need to get a 10 inch drum brake spindle from 65 to 72 car. These are small ball joint spindles. You can use your existing upper control arms that are small ball joint also.

Option 2: Wilwood Brake Kit #140-11019. You would need to get a disc brake spindle from a 73 to 76 A body or a later FMJ body. You would also have to replace your upper A arms on your 68 cuda to a big ball ball joint arms from a 73 to 76 A body or use one of Dr Diffs small to big ball joint adapter sleeves.

I guess that I'm confused - Disc vs Drum. -- What I was wondering -- Is there a way to convert My Kelsey Hays, front, disc brakes from 5 on 4 to 5 on 4.5 without changing uca etc. ??

Some folks get Ford Mustang rotors machined to convert to the 4.5 which allows them to keep all the rest of their KH setup. Here is a thread on that: Using mustang rotors for 4.5" bc

I also think the Ramman (vendor sponsor on FABO)was selling these converted Mustang rotors.

I looked at the Wilwood website and believe you have two options but I would recommend you check with them to be sure. I do not see ANY option where Wilwood systems will work with your KH spindles.

Option 1: Wilwood Front Brake Kit Part No.: 140-11023-DR. You would need to get a 10 inch drum brake spindle from 65 to 72 car. These are small ball joint spindles. You can use your existing upper control arms that are small ball joint also.

Option 2: Wilwood Brake Kit #140-11019. You would need to get a disc brake spindle from a 73 to 76 A body or a later FMJ body. You would also have to replace your upper A arms on your 68 cuda to a big ball ball joint arms from a 73 to 76 A body or use one of Dr Diffs small to big ball joint adapter sleeves.

Ok well I ordered qa1 handling kit 2 front suspension, but ordered the small ball joint UCA. I think I'm going to send those back order big ball joint UCA and get 73-76 disc spindles. I figure if I'm going to build it might as well build it as tough as I can,

One more question cuda68scott. I've heard there is 2 types of steering linkage. I would prefer the bigger one. Will these spindles accept the larger tie rod ends?

Thanks for all the info

I have the complete setup for sale if interested. Big ball joint spindle and wilwood brakes.

Ok well I ordered qa1 handling kit 2 front suspension, but ordered the small ball joint UCA. I think I'm going to send those back order big ball joint UCA and get 73-76 disc spindles. I figure if I'm going to build it might as well build it as tough as I can,

One more question cuda68scott. I've heard there is 2 types of steering linkage. I would prefer the bigger one. Will these spindles accept the larger tie rod ends?

Thanks for all the info

I am not entirely sure but am thinking the tie rod ends stayed the same after 1972 so it shouldn’t matter. But... you might want to do a separate post to get some other expertise.

The ram man sells a rotor for this so you don't have to change 10 different things to do that. I was in the same boat and placed an order two days ago. I knew there had to be someone who made a rotor for this swap somewhere.

Like was said earlier, buy the Mustang 5x4.5 rotors and do a little bit of machining and you can use everything from the kelsey hayes 5x4 spindles.

Like was said earlier, buy the Mustang 5x4.5 rotors and do a little bit of machining and you can use everything from the kelsey hayes 5x4 spindles.
That's true ...I thought about that when I saw that posted on this site. You can buy mustang rotors and have them machined......or buy some already machined. I guess both ways will get you there. I just decided to buy some already done.

Thank you everyone for all the info, helped me out a bunch. Ordered 73-76 spindles

-
Back