Kelsey hayes swap done, but..

-

mopower440

Reaction score
Finally got the k-h swap done on my dart with manual brakes. Got the new MC from rock auto for disc/drum and manual. They work well except i have to stand on the pedal to stop fast! This MC is supposed to be correct for the disc front and drum rear and non power brakes.

ALL of the master cylinders being remanufactured now are for manual DRUM brakes but all the "parts sellers" will tell you they are all the same even for disc brakes. Get a rebuilt original disc brake master cylinder from a reputable source.

If you haven't read this 5 page article yet, I urge you to do so, especially if you prefer the original look.
Type in: Pumping Points by the Ram Man.
It helped me get the correct NOS M/C and bore size on the 1st shot, during my front disc manual brake conversion.
Screenshot_20210103-094800_Drive.jpg

Assuming all components are correct and installed correctly....

We have all turned into wimps.

We are all too used to power brakes on our modern cars.

It is normal to have to stand on the brakes in a manual brake car, as compared to power brakes in a panic stop.

Centric-13063019, i think it has a 1.03 bore?

Last edited:
well, out riding around today and found some of my problem..I noticed the pedal was getting low today and towards the end of the ride, i could hear metal to metal grinding. I was kinda mad because i JUST got through rebuilding this whole front end, including the KH brakes that i installed. Got home and jacked it up and found the 4 allen headed bolts loose that holds the 2 halves of the caliper together and i was about to fall out and had the caliper itself pushing against the rotor! Now, im not normally one to leave bolts loose..are these known to work loose easily by chance? How tight do they need to be?
0103211447a.jpg

In all my years I have never seen or heard of them coming loose. If I had to guess you didn’t tighten them up. Hey **** happens.

-
Back