Kevco pickup tube bracket - attachment

-

Tess

Reaction score
Just got our Kevco M-301 pan and matching pickup...nice pieces.

The support bracket on the pickup is a problem. Our 340 mains have studs with tall nuts instead of stock type bolts. The ends of the studs have a hex shaped hole for turning into the block during assembly.

There isn't enough thread exposed above the nut to use another nut on top of the bracket.

Have any of you had this situation and if so, what was your solution? Perhaps a small stud welded to the main stud for securing the pickup bracket?

why not put it underneath? put pickup bracket in place, screw stud in, put nut on top of it?

have you installed all the nut onto the main cap studs? There is one that won't let you install the oil pump flush with its surface.

It's very similar to a stock pickup and they don't have a bracket!

Seen that type of pickup mounting tear at the tube. No thanks on that.

why not put it underneath? put pickup bracket in place, screw stud in, put nut on top of it?

have you installed all the nut onto the main cap studs? There is one that won't let you install the oil pump flush with its surface.

Kevco said that the bracket was too soft to mount under the nut. They warned that the pickup bracket should be used to prevent loosening from vibration. (although the stock pickup isn't braced)

Engine is completely assembled as it came from the builder and we hesitate un-torqueing a main bolt.

I think we've got it.
With approx. 3 threads showing above the main stud nut, I'm thinking of a short sleeve internally threaded and screwed onto the 3 threads of the stud.
Then enlarge the hole on the pickup bracket to fit over the sleeve followed by a short bolt on top of the sleeve to hold the bracket down. Thread lock should keep this in place...?

I should take pics.

PS. should the pipe threads on the pickup have any Teflon tape or similar before putting it into the oil pump? The plumber in me says yes but the old one had nothing.

I think we've got it.
With approx. 3 threads showing above the main stud nut, I'm thinking of a short sleeve internally threaded and screwed onto the 3 threads of the stud.
Then enlarge the hole on the pickup bracket to fit over the sleeve followed by a short bolt on top of the sleeve to hold the bracket down. Thread lock should keep this in place...?

I should take pics.

PS. should the pipe threads on the pickup have any Teflon tape or similar before putting it into the oil pump? The plumber in me says yes but the old one had nothing.

I use pipe sealant. Teflon tape can shred and get into the pump

I had a similar situation with my Kevco pickup.Ordered a pickup without the tab and used red Loctite.

I had a similar situation with my Kevco pickup.Ordered a pickup without the tab and used red Loctite.

Hey Ontario!
Thanks, that would likely prevent loosening through vibration and I'm assuming Red Loctite would seal the threads as a pipe sealant would?

The best part is we could trim off the bracket and not disturb the main stud. I like that.

-
Back