Kevko pan in Early A K mods

-

subcom

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I've read a couple of mentions that our Early As required the K frame to be modified to fit a Kevko m301/302 type small block oil pan;
http://www.kevko.net/images/M301_full.gif

Anybody have any pics of their K frame and the mods they did to make it fit?

I just quickly mocked mine up while the engine is still on the stand and the K frame is out of the car and unbuckled from all of the suspension components. Doesn't seem like it is anywhere close to fitting without doing major surgery on the K frame.

I've read a couple of mentions that our Early As required the K frame to be modified to fit a Kevko m301/302 type small block oil pan;
http://www.kevko.net/images/M301_full.gif

Anybody have any pics of their K frame and the mods they did to make it fit?

I just quickly mocked mine up while the engine is still on the stand and the K frame is out of the car and unbuckled from all of the suspension components. Doesn't seem like it is anywhere close to fitting without doing major surgery on the K frame.

here's how I modded my K frame

Attachments

• 64 Dart 5 K Frame Mod.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 367
dart4forte,that looks exactly like how I modified/boxed my early K frame in to fit my 8 qrt Milidon pan.:D

Thank you sir for the pic.
Looks like you cut into it pretty deep and then boxed it? Any concerns running something like this on the street?

Nope, plenty strong. yes, everything is boxed and gusseted. Remember on a Mopar, once the engine is installed it adds to the rigidity of the suspension.

Nope, plenty strong. yes, everything is boxed and gusseted. Remember on a Mopar, once the engine is installed it adds to the rigidity of the suspension.

Great. Thank you!
I'm going to do the same to mine and at the same time I think I'll add some provisions to mount some casters on the K and make it my roll around test stand before stabbing everything back in the car.

Hopefully the pan will clear now. Just need the dropped center/drag link.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 280
For those who have modified the K frame, did the Kevko pan fit without other modifications once the front was clearanced? Steering from lock to lock without issues? Does it clear the dropped center link without issue?

Thanks!

My center link hits the driver's side of the Kevko pan. I think the pass side as well, but not as bad. The contact is slight, but enough to rub the pan and put a dent in it. I'm not sure how to address it just yet. I'm not driving the car much but when I do I try not to turn it fully.

Are you using stock 273 motor mounts modified or Schumachers? Can you provide a couple of photos of where it hits? Thanks a bunch.

Yes I'm running Schumacher mounts and the dropped v8 center link.
Center link has plenty of clearance throughout most of the steering range.
It's when close to fully locked that there is contact. Top of the centerlink towards the middle to the end of the radius bend in the centerlink makes contact. There is some casting material in that area, like a seam. I tried grinding mine down to see if that added clearance.
Haven't checked since. Next time I crawl under it I'll take some pics for you.

Yes I'm running Schumacher mounts and the dropped v8 center link.
Center link has plenty of clearance throughout most of the steering range.
It's when close to fully locked that there is contact. Top of the centerlink towards the middle to the end of the radius bend in the centerlink makes contact. There is some casting material in that area, like a seam. I tried grinding mine down to see if that added clearance.
Haven't checked since. Next time I crawl under it I'll take some pics for you.

Remember the the Schumacker mounts will raise the engine hight.

...any performance pans out there that do not require this K member modification?

thank you.

Thanks to all those that posted pics man every time I think this site cant get more informative BAM you get what you need without even having to post.
THIS IS STILL THE BEST SITE ON THE NET......
Aaron

-
Back