key goes in, radio powers up

-

Backally

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Installed a radio in my 70 Duster, didn't have one before. It uses the stock power plug. Discovered when I insert the key into the ignition cylinder that the radio powers up. Don't have to turn it on, or acc position. Column is coming out today, what should I look for other than general condition of the wires?

Also, off topic but the steering wheel doesn't lock with the key in the off position. 4sp car, don't have the reverse lock bars. Is this something guys are OK with? I plan on fixing it just because it's wrong and it bugs me, but the thought of not having the potential for the wheel to lock while I'm moving has merits also. If I find the reverse bars at a swap meet this summer I'll go that route.

get power for your stereo from another source. someone else may have taken the power to your plug from the key in buzzer, or seat belt thingy. just a guess.

I think 73AbodEE hit the nail right on the head. Your power feed to the radio is coming from the key in switch warning buzzer.

~Michael

Thanks guys. Will trace that this aft. I'm not much of an electrical guy and was concerned about a short someplace.

Backally,
Couple of quick checks before you tear anything apart.
1) Is the radio on with the key in the switch and the door closed?
2) With the car off, the key out and the headlights on does the radio turn on?
~Michael

I would check to see that the wires from the ignition switch are in their proper holes in the wire connector. If the switch has been changed or wires removed for some reason, they may have been swapped around.

Wow, lots to look at in the short time since I posted this. Thanks to all who responded. I crawled under to start tracing wires not thinking about the head cold I have had all week and after about 3 minutes felt like the top of my head was ready to pop. So will have to look at it next week. Did determine that it was only with the key in the ignition. Didn't matter if door was open or closed or lights were on. Everything else seems to work as expected but I see where your going with that though, and will give it some thought this weekend. Did they have chimes for key in ignition in 70...I need to look at the wiring diagrams WJAJR linked me to. As long as no one thinks I got a short/fire hazard someplace I can live with it for a bit.
Thanks again guys!

Backally,
If you review the link to the wiring diagram that WJAJR posted you will see that it shows a key in switch buzzer as well as a headlight reminder (Lower right corner diag. 2). My concern with that is the key in switch buzzer should only work if the door is open that is why I asked. Did you install a factory radio or an aftermarket radio? I will continue to think about this in the mean time hope the head cold gets better.
~Michael

Backally
I would also like you to see if any other items work just putting the key in the switch. Does the blower motor, wipers etc. operate? That the power that goes to the key in switch warning buzzer is crossed over to the accessory side of the ignition. Let me know what you find out when you get a minute.
~Michael

Had the radio refurbed by Wards radio repair, looks like original am radio but has am/fm/ aux jack w/ 4 speakers ( pumped how good that turned out). Uses same power connector as original. Nothing else comes on other than radio with key in...fan, wipers, lights all worked as they should, but do not get a headlight reminder either now that I think of it. I need to print out those schematics and look at them closer I think.

-
Back