KH spindles - rusty but still OK?

-

Cuda68Scott

Reaction score
I bought these KH spindles and they turned out more rusty than I wanted. I have been working on cleaning them up and think the bearing inner race surfaces are probably OK. I wanted some opinion.

IMG_0759 - Copyresize.jpg

As I got them. Purchased them from a FABO member.

IMG_0763 - Copyresize.jpg

After cleaning off the crud with a brush and degreaser

IMG_0775 - Copyresize.jpg

After a soak in Evaporust. Think it needs a little more soaking to get the remaining rust off.

IMG_0777 - Copyresize.jpg

Fairly representative, if you look close can see a little galling on the bearing surface.

IMG_0785 - Copyresize.jpg

Close up of bearing surface.

Last edited:
Good to go.. maybe some light 000 steel wool
Just finished mine up a few months ago..
20161122_170329.jpg

I agree have Jim take a quick look. But, I think your ok.

Your good to go.
Don't worry about it, loose any sleep over it.
If you want, just twist some Emery cloth, ( sorta like fine sandpaper) over the spindle surface.
JV.

Last edited:
Spend a few bucks more, and purchase Wagner, or Bendix, brand rotors.
Those Centric ones, are cheap, but your going to find out that they really skimp on the final machining of those rotors, and you may run into clearance problems to the bottom of the caliper, when bolted up.
Just my 2 cents on that subject.

Lol all made in japan brother... most likey same plant... i use Centric rotors for ages and probably better than the rest

Lol all made in japan brother... most likey same plant... i use Centric rotors for ages and probably better than the rest

Your opinion BROTHER.
My experience with those Centric ones are hit or miss.
So that's my opinion.
Then just compare a Centric one, to either a Wagner, or Bendix.

Your choice. The internet is wonderful thing to learn from. Ill say it again... There are no brake drums or rotors any longer mass manufactured in United States for quite a bit of years. Please go by Bendix for Wagner and check the box

Oh and Emery cloth will also remove material and slightly change tolerances on your spindles......but using 000 zero steel wool cleans up but does not remove material.
Im not here for a pissing match.. im just sharing MY EXPERIENCES..
But then again I'm not a machinist for for the past 25 years

Yep, agree that all the stuff is made in China, wether Bendix, Centric, Wagner.
But Bendix, and Wagner pay a few extra China dollars, to final machine them better.

Yep, agree that all the stuff is made in China, wether Bendix, Centric, Wagner.
But Bendix, and Wagner pay a few extra China dollars, to final machine them better.
Not really I just recently went through this whole situation where I found out that the Bendix in a Wagner were garbage and a Centrix was actually cleaner and made better because they are actually made by Metric standards not by our US standards.. did you ever take a micrometer to some of the Bendix and Wagner brakes rotors and druns?? they're all wavy and unbalanced that's why you get vibration and uneven wear

Oh and Emery cloth will also remove material and slightly change tolerances on your spindles......but using 000 zero steel wool cleans up but does not remove material.
Im not here for a pissing match.. im just sharing MY EXPERIENCES..
But then again I'm not a machinist for for the past 25 years

Well whoop de do.
Wanna know what i was trained in before i joined up with the Air Force.
Toolmaking, in factories back in CT. when manufacturing was still done in the USA.
Using Emery cloth on that spindle surface will have such a slight tolerence on that spindle it won't ever make a difference out there in the real world.
The op isn't building the next space shuttle.

Well whoop de do.
Wanna know what i was trained in before i joined up with the Air Force.
Toolmaking, in factories back in CT. when manufacturing was still done in the USA.
Using Emery cloth on that spindle surface will have such a slight tolerence on that spindle it won't ever make a difference out there in the real world.
The op isn't building the next space shuttle.
But you did clearly state it will remove tolerances to a professional that might be very light but the somebody that doesn't realize that they might be sanding a little harder or unevenly more than normal and maybe removing more than they expected.

How the F*** did me replying to a members posting get into a pissing contest with another in regards to a member requesting me take a look at a picture.
You shut up, and I'll shut up.
You go your way, and I'll go mine.
This posting by the op has gone off track, long enough.

How the F*** did me replying to a members posting get into a pissing contest with another in regards to a member requesting me take a look at a picture.
You shut up, and I'll shut up.
You go your way, and I'll go mine.
This posting by the op has gone off track, long enough.
Actually it's not off track "it's educational" advising what to do and not to do. And if you go back I think I was the first one to state to him that he was good to go... "in your words" what I've said is true. But firgive me because I didn't know you were the only experiance around..

have a nice day

I get my new ones skinned by a buddy. They dress every new rotor/drum that comes through the shop. A quality oriented operation.

As the parent of this thread, I am afraid I am going to put you two in timeout tonight - yep its level 2 timeout with no beer or ice cream until I hear some apologies! I am waiting.....

Seriously I appreciate everybody's response and opinions, I basically wanted some affirmation that this was minor galling. My original 10 inch drum spindles are truly pristine being an Arizona car, and I was a little taken aback from the rust on these KH spindles. I think they came from Wisconsin, so probably had a fair amount of salt exposure. It also looks to me that the dust shields and foam gasket probably were a water trap by the look of the rust pattern on the spindle face.

I'm one of the "pissing contest" guys that got involved with in this posting.
I was asked to reply to a picture because many on this forum know me for my rebuilding of the Kelsey Hayes 4 piston caliper brake systems, and suspension parts.
Have been doing it as a side business for a bit of extra income for over 10 years.
I kept track, and sold 32 rebuilt set up's during that length of time.
That's probably three a year, or so.

I gave up buying, using, Centric rotors when i was having problems with them.
Haven't purchased a Centric from anybody, anywhere, in years.
Maybe by now they have changed their machining to produce a better product.
That i don't know, as i haven't been buying them.

To the guy that asked about rotors, buy what you want, and find out for yourself, between the brands, if you do enough of these, like i have in the past.

I'm one of the "pissing contest" guys that got involved with in this posting.
I was asked to reply to a picture because many on this forum know me for my rebuilding of the Kelsey Hayes 4 piston caliper brake systems, and suspension parts.
Have been doing it as a side business for a bit of extra income for over 10 years.
I kept track, and sold 32 rebuilt set up's during that length of time.
That's probably three a year, or so.

I gave up buying, using, Centric rotors when i was having problems with them.
Haven't purchased a Centric from anybody, anywhere, in years.
Maybe by now they have changed their machining to produce a better product.
That i don't know, as i haven't been buying them.

To the guy that asked about rotors, buy what you want, and find out for yourself, between the brands, if you do enough of these, like i have in the past.
Thank you Jim V for the advice on the rotors. Thanks also for the awesome pair of rebuilt LCA's I bought from you last year

-
Back