kickdown linkage

-

busted knuckles

Reaction score
Hi, just supersixed my dart. The one barrel setup worked fine. I put a two barrel 2300 series holley on the intake. Here are some pics, now the shifting is good and solid from 1-2 but from 2-3 the shift is long and slow. Kind of like a clutch being let out too slow. I modified the single barrel kickdown to use with the new carb. Can anyone tell me what may be the problem? One suggestion is the kickdown is not moving through its full arc, due to the location on the carb bracket. Thanks for any input. www.putfile.com/icaneat50eggs I belive the pics you need to see are the last two.

The kickdown not moving all the way is the problem. You need to do what ever it takes to get it to move like it did when stock. It's not good on the trans. if it isn't working right either. It's slipping the clutches when it shifts because the throttle pressure isn't adjusted correctly. If you don't get it corrected it will shorten the life of your trans. by quite a bit.

I'm new to this: the kickdown linkage has something to do with the regular upshifting of the trans. I posted elsewhere, but the PO put a Holley 4bbl on my '68 318, and it shifts up hard unless it's under moderate throttle, and won't shift to 3rd until it hits 30mph, again hard unless under moderate throttle.

thanks

Peter

I'm new to this: the kickdown linkage has something to do with the regular upshifting of the trans. I posted elsewhere, but the PO put a Holley 4bbl on my '68 318, and it shifts up hard unless it's under moderate throttle, and won't shift to 3rd until it hits 30mph, again hard unless under moderate throttle.

thanks

Peter

Peter you probably just need to adjust the kickdown linkage at the carb. Shorten it up to make it shift sooner.

there is no kick down linkage from the carb to the bellcrank that leads to the transmission. I saw a kit from Bouchillion Performance, and the instructions were great for explaining what should be there and how it works. Just found coolant in my oil, so I have worse things to deal with at the moment.

Peter

there is no kick down linkage from the carb to the bellcrank that leads to the transmission. I saw a kit from Bouchillion Performance, and the instructions were great for explaining what should be there and how it works. Just found coolant in my oil, so I have worse things to deal with at the moment.

Peter

Bummer. Check to make sure all the intake bolts are good and tight. I had one that a guy rebuilt and didn't torque down the intake and let it leak into the oil. I just torqued down the intake bolts and it fixed it.

The kit from Bouchillon sounds like a Lokar kit or similiar. It's a nice looking kit and allot easier to find than the original parts can be.

Did get the Bouchillion kit, had it installed and adjusted it myself. Now the thing works great, downshifts, holds gears longer under acceleration. I love how simple these cars are. The water in the oil was condensation.

-
Back