Kickdown not attached 904 won't shift gears

-
Reaction score
Hi forum,
I have a 1965 Barracuda and it has a 904 transmission with a dodge 318. It stopped shifting gears about 3 months ago. I thought I blew the transmission. A little while before it totally stopped shifting it was slipping, clunking, etc. yesterday I started looking at it and I noticed the kickdown is not even attached. I'm wondering if that's what the problem is. I'm by no means a mechanic and don't know how to assess this. What do you guys think?

I appreciate any help.

Thanks, Gary

I think it's too late for that one, and it needs at least a soft parts rebuild.
Converter and cooler lines flush at the very least also.

Sorry for that news.

LOL done like a chicken. Good news is you can rebuild them in your kitchen. :D

I think it's too late for that one, and it needs at least a soft parts rebuild.
Converter and cooler lines flush at the very least also.

Sorry for that news.
Yep, sounds like ya burnt her up not running the kickdown. Did that once before. Never again

Yes, it's toast. You MUST have that linkage hooked up. The correct name for it is not kick down linkage, but throttle pressure linkage. As the throttle is opened, the linkage is pushed back on the lever on the transmission valve body and increases the line pressure in the transmission. As the line pressure increases, the clutch pack "holding power" also increases to match the rise in power from opening the throttle. Without the linkage hooked up, the clutch packs have minimal pressure holding them together and the clutches will slip. Since high gear puts the most leverage on the drive train, it will burn up first, followed by second and then first. If your transmission is slipping in any gear, the damage is already done.

Repair the throttle pressure linkage and test drive it.
You might be surprised.

The throttle pressure linkage being disconnected is the reason many torqueflite's burn up early. You can try connecting it and test driving it but if it's already slipping I'd say it's about a .01% chance it'll work ok.

Thanks for all the info, I'm gonna put the linkage back on and then do a test just in case, if that doesn't work then I'll just get my tranny rebuilt. Thanks, Gary

Thanks for all the info, I'm gonna put the linkage back on and then do a test just in case, if that doesn't work then I'll just get my tranny rebuilt. Thanks, Gary

Make sure it's adjusted properly.

I hope it helps, and it may for a short while.

-
Back