Kids Today Need What We Had When We Were Young

-

ocdart

Inland Mopars Car Club
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Today is my daughters xxth birthday (she wouldn't want me to say how many candles) and for a kick I sent her the following YouTube video of a children's TV show staple from my early years...

If you grew up in the Los Angeles area back when I did then "Sheriff John's Lunch Brigade" was one of the highlights of your early birthdays.
After watching the video I realized that young kids today don't have the positive role models we did back then. Sheriff John wouldn't be 'politically correct' today...and that's really sad.
Read the following excerpt from his obituary from 2012 and you'll see why.

John Rovick, the beloved host of a children's cartoon show in Los Angeles throughout the 1950s and 60s, has died.
Rovick died Saturday in Boise, Idaho after a brief illness, his former station, KTTV-TV, told The Associated Press. He was 93.
For nearly two decades, Rovick appeared on the daily "Cartoon Time" show that earned him an Emmy award for outstanding children's program. It was so popular with young viewers that KTTV said it added another show to its midday schedule, "Sheriff John's Lunch Brigade," that stayed on the air until 1970.

Staples of the show included Rovick reciting the Pledge of Allegiance, singing "The Birthday Cake Polka" and leading viewers on a prayer before having lunch along with them. He opened the show with the song "Laugh and Be Happy."
Rovick created the sheriff persona because of his interest in law enforcement. He served in World War II as a radio gunner for the Army Air Forces.

Today is my daughters xxth birthday (she wouldn't want me to say how many candles) and for a kick I sent her the following YouTube video of a children's TV show staple from my early years...

If you grew up in the Los Angeles area back when I did then "Sheriff John's Lunch Brigade" was one of the highlights of your early birthdays.
After watching the video I realized that young kids today don't have the positive role models we did back then. Sheriff John wouldn't be 'politically correct' today...and that's really sad.
Read the following excerpt from his obituary from 2012 and you'll see why.

John Rovick, the beloved host of a children's cartoon show in Los Angeles throughout the 1950s and 60s, has died.
Rovick died Saturday in Boise, Idaho after a brief illness, his former station, KTTV-TV, told The Associated Press. He was 93.
For nearly two decades, Rovick appeared on the daily "Cartoon Time" show that earned him an Emmy award for outstanding children's program. It was so popular with young viewers that KTTV said it added another show to its midday schedule, "Sheriff John's Lunch Brigade," that stayed on the air until 1970.

Staples of the show included Rovick reciting the Pledge of Allegiance, singing "The Birthday Cake Polka" and leading viewers on a prayer before having lunch along with them. He opened the show with the song "Laugh and Be Happy."
Rovick created the sheriff persona because of his interest in law enforcement. He served in World War II as a radio gunner for the Army Air Forces.

Thought you where going to say discipline.

What kids need today is a good *** whoopin’
And , some one to see that they have work to do , instead of nothing but playing games their whole life, and then wanting the gov. to give it all to them right now, because they have everything handed to them on a silver platter !

And , some one to see that they have work to do , instead of nothing but playing games their whole life, and then wanting the gov. to give it all to them right now, because they have everything handed to them on a silver platter !
Amen. These millennials walk into a business today and demand a starting salary equal to that of a guy who has been working there for 20 years, and they want to work from home 3 days a week. And amazingly, a lot companies give it to them.

IMO, what today's kids need is to do away with all of the technology at their fingertips. Technology has spoiled us.

My wife interviewed 10 people recently (She is a manager at 1 of the biggest computer companies) and 4 of them stated that they needed to start at no less than $100,000, fresh out of collage. 1 did have her Bachelors degree at 28yrs old. This position is entry level and starts around $35,000 a year and is in the job description. The 1st person she LOL'd and realized they were serious. by the 3rd, she realized that these "Kids" weren't either reading the add for the job they were applying for, of were just stupid and thought they would really get it if they asked. Needless to say, none of them got the job.

They need parents without cellphones and facebook..... Then they would focus on the concept of having kids.... Actually interacting with them.... I think everything else will fall into place.....

JW

Our kids need stay-at-home Moms; and local Grandparents, and Dads who read to them from the Bible every morning at breakfast, after he has made the morning fire, and lit the kerosene lanterns. Everyone has a job to do, and the home runs like a well-oiled machine, in a pre-electrified world........ like I did.
There was nothing wrong with that.One of my jobs was to hike over to Grandma's on an adjacent quarter and separate the cream from the milk,that Grandma had just brought in from the milk-house, then bring it back to our cabin, so we could all have breakfast.I had lots of jobs before I ever started school. Being part of the team fostered self-worth. I hauled water, helped with the chores, and held chicken-heads for Mom as she whacked them off with a hatchet.
There was no TV, no internet, no friggen phone, no electricity, and no flush-toilets. We polished out teeth with baking soda and rinsed with salty water. Another job I had was working the Full-Manual wash-machine. And washing dishes. And a little later, as I was the eldest, I learned to cook and take care of the younger ones.
Where was Mom you might ask. Why, out with Dad and Grandpa, working the mixed farm, don't you know. My Dad was smart; he married a farmgirl,one of three hard working solidly built God-Fearing help-meets. At 17, she had already been working the farm with her Dad and her two older sisters, and little baby-brother 10 years her junior. Grandpa,soon-to-be-in-law, was none to keen on seeing his girls, being married off, and sold the farm shortly afterwards, having lost all his helpers. He too died at 64, a worn-out giant of a man.
My Dad's brother bought our farm when Grandpa got worn out, and we moved to the BigCity. I was seven friggin years old.Grandpa died 3 years later at age 64,having sired 15 kids. He worked his whole life just to bring them all to maturity. Sadly 2 of them never made it to adulthood. IIRC he died before the last son got married. Hyup; Uncle Corny was only 10 years my senior. I'm guessing he was 20 or so when Grandpa keeled over.
But the chores didn't stop in the city. No, they were increased, cuz now Mom had to take up the slack cuz we no longer had food on the table, provided for us by the farm animals, nor the annual wheat harvest, nor the HUGE garden that Grandma tended and I had used to hoe, nor the orchard.
That's what kids today need; to back up the hands of time,and learn to be a part of Family and community.
Sadly, that ain't likely to ever happen. We are living in the Great Falling Away.Electricity was touted as the life-saver. In truth, in just 100years,we have let it destroy our family, our community, and soon,our civilization.
Yeah I know how all that sounds, but that's how it was. I think I was the last of that generation, and the first of the next. I fought it best as I could but when the last of my three started school, my dear wife took a part-time job, and eventually a full-time one, as the kids needed ever more support; and that has never quite stopped. In 30 days or so I will be 65, now officially older than both my grandfathers when their bodies failed;ain't electricity grand.
That's what our kids need, a trip back in time, into a world without electricity.
OK,OK, it ain't all electricity's fault. And electricity brought us out of the dark-ages,lol. But you get the point. The decline if the Family started at about the same time as the rise of electricity, and I am 100% convinced that it played a major role in that.

Last edited:
After reading the title.
I gave my children what they needed . And made them work to earn what they wanted.
If you get things for nothing, they are worth nothing.

I grew up not so priveleged either.
I tried to make my kids work for what they wanted. Half worked.
My son just closed a deal on a house.
Daughter is learning the hard way,learning how to make ends meet. Has a hard time holding a job, attitude keeps getting the better of her.
My grandparents all came over on the boats from england, and started out with virtually nothing.

I disagree with AJ, the electricity thing.
Its the easy access to worthless information thats making the minds of our children weak.

I grew up not so priveleged either.
I tried to make my kids work for what they wanted. Half worked.
My son just closed a deal on a house.
Daughter is learning the hard way,learning how to make ends meet. Has a hard time holding a job, attitude keeps getting the better of her.
My grandparents all came over on the boats from england, and started out with virtually nothing.

I disagree with AJ, the electricity thing.
Its the easy access to worthless information thats making the minds of our children weak.

Agree.
My children turned out fine dispite me. my son told his teacher on his first day of school when asked. what do you want to be when you grow up.
He came home with a note. Your son said he wants to grow up to be a bad example like his father. Please explain.
The ex did a fine job raising them.

They need family. When I grew up I had six aunts and two uncles on my mothers side. My maternal grandparents lived around the corner from us. ALL my aunts and uncles with their spouses and children lived within three blocks of our grandparents. I was with my cousins everyday growing up. Walking into my aunts house was like walking into my other home. They oversaw us like we were their own. They gave you a hug or kick in the ***, whatever you needed at that time. This was in the mid 50's, it was a great way to grow up. Then one by one families moved on. Growing up in today's world my daughter seldom seen her cousins. Neighborhoods are " diversified " and you don't know who is who. We all had to move to the burbs, city living was getting out of hand. Their all gone now, last one was last year at 98. We were lucky to have them.

-
Back