Kill switch master disconnect cut off ???

-

greenhornet

Reaction score
I'm about to mount my battery in the trunk, I figure I'll need a kill switch on my rear back panal as it'll be a street/strip car.. My two local tracks arent real hardcore on tech inspection and I'll never be running a NHRA track.. I was wondering if I could just hook the GROUND to the kill switch instead of the POSITIVE and get away with it?? It seems the wirein' to the cut off switch would be easier and I'm guessing the switch would last longer not having the hot wire run through it... What do you guys think??

More than likely, you can do as you say and have no trouble from the Tech Inspectors, as long as you aren't making the 10.99 or 140 mph marks. Soon as you get fast enough, safety will be Top Priority, whether YOU think it is, or not. Insurance companies are putting pressure on the track owners, to keep it safe as possible and save them money. Most of the racetracks around here have gone to 1/8 mile racing, in the last few years, because of it.

Mister Greenhornet, this is how I done my Signet, I mounted it next to the drivers seat and the cables go to the battery in rear to the starter in front, never a problem and easy to shut off :) Hope this helps
360014.jpg

360015.jpg

360016.jpg

More than likely, you can do as you say and have no trouble from the Tech Inspectors, as long as you aren't making the 10.99 or 140 mph marks. Soon as you get fast enough, safety will be Top Priority, whether YOU think it is, or not. Insurance companies are putting pressure on the track owners, to keep it safe as possible and save them money. Most of the racetracks around here have gone to 1/8 mile racing, in the last few years, because of it.

My two tracks are 1/8 mile, their just happy to see a car pull through the gate, their not going to be kickin' a guys tires to much... I was thinking if a battery is disconnected, isnt's it disconnected no matter if you kill the positive or the ground.. Maybe I'm thinking wrong here....

Mister Greenhornet, this is how I done my Signet, I mounted it next to the drivers seat and the cables go to the battery in rear to the starter in front, never a problem and easy to shut off :) Hope this helps

That's a good idea, but I think most drag strips require you have a switch someone from the outside of the car can kill the power incase you crash or have an accident...

How is running the switch through the ground side easier to do or easier on the switch? You have the same amount of voltage or amperage on either side of the battery. The easiest thing to do is wire the switch through the positive side like you are supposed to do. I always run mine straight to the positive side of the battery, and also tie in the positive side of the ignition. That way, it kills ALL power including the engine, INSTANTLY. Running it to the ground does not insure that.

How is running the switch through the ground side easier to do or easier on the switch? You have the same amount of voltage or amperage on either side of the battery. The easiest thing to do is wire the switch through the positive side like you are supposed to do. I always run mine straight to the positive side of the battery, and also tie in the positive side of the ignition. That way, it kills ALL power including the engine, INSTANTLY. Running it to the ground does not insure that.

I'm gonna have to look at a wirein' diagram, I've not messed with mopar wirein' in 20+ years... OK, say you kill the hot with the turn off switch, doesnt the alternator keep the engine running???

I'm thinking wirein' is gonna be a nitemare on this '66, I want to run a MSD ignition box and a 1-wire GM alternator.....

I'm gonna have to look at a wirein' diagram, I've not messed with mopar wirein' in 20+ years... OK, say you kill the hot with the turn off switch, doesnt the alternator keep the engine running???

No. You can either wire in the ignition as I stated or the alternator. I like to wire in the ignition. That way there's absolutely no chance for feedbac power from anywhere else to keep the engine running.

Most other auto racing sanctioning bodies and I think, all aircraft, are wired to kill the ground, or negative side of the system. I can't say for sure but I assume that NHRA is sticking with the OLD way of doing things, to avoid confrontation with the racers.
Switching the negative side stands less chance of causing arcing(read;fire), the same as taking the negative off your batteries, first.

Most other auto racing sanctioning bodies and I think, all aircraft, are wired to kill the ground, or negative side of the system. I can't say for sure but I assume that NHRA is sticking with the OLD way of doing things, to avoid confrontation with the racers.
Switching the negative side stands less chance of causing arcing(read;fire), the same as taking the negative off your batteries, first.

That was kinda my thinking, most every instruction you see says disconnect the ground before doing-- whatever.. I like my Hot run straight to the starter as possible without a bunch of breaks in the connection, I think I see what stroker is saying, flip the switch kill all the power to the system, kill the engine.. That makes sense...

-
Back