kit-bashing a 1/25th scale model of my Dart.. need help

-

SpeedracerX

Still on this side of the dirt member
Reaction score
Hiya gang.. so, I have a 1/25 model kit of a 69 Dart sealed in the box that I have been meaning to get around to for years now.. Now that my Darts theme is all worked out (see 'project Bills Buggy' in the resto forum) I want to build as close to a scale model of my car as I can to display in the curio cabinet with the rest of the cool cars I have collected.. Besides its freaking cold out and I cant spend as much time working on the real thing as I would like right now..

Anyways heres where the kit bashing part comes in... My Dart has rallye wheels and will eventualy get a Duster scoop on it.. so these things need to be represented in the scale model.. I am sure I have seen model kits of Dusters and such that had the rallye wheels.. but I am unsure if there are any model kits that have that Duster scoop in them.. if anyone knows of such a kit, or has a couple 1/25 model kits they dont mind parting with let me know.. I hate to break up a perfectly good model kit to get the few parts I need for mine (kinda feels like a miniature parting out of a car LMAO) .. but this is something I would really like to do..

Oh I almost forgot.. I am sure there is more than one model builder on this site.. So I will also need some advice, my Dart will have a black vinyl top.. The model kit makes no provision for this.. Now I can kit bash the vinyl top trim or even just paint the trim on with a very fine brush and a steady hand.. however just painting the roof a matte black will not be enough in my opinion.. it needs to be slightly textured to give it that look of the vinyl... any suggestions on how to accomplish this?

and I imagine the Duster model that I rob parts from (or whatever kit it winds up being yielding the parts I need) will not go to waste.. I will eventually use it (them) to build a 'work in progress' type of model.. lol..

For the vynil top, use the 3M blue painter's tape. Put it on, trim it, and paint it. Use a fine brush like you said for the trim.
Tamiya "Chrome" paint is also a near perfect match for the argent wheel color, I actually used it to touch up the grille on my real Duster.

For the vynil top, use the 3M blue painter's tape. Put it on, trim it, and paint it. Use a fine brush like you said for the trim.
Tamiya "Chrome" paint is also a near perfect match for the argent wheel color, I actually used it to touch up the grille on my real Duster.

I will try those ideas... thanks!!

Have you ever used Bare Metal Foil for the trim ? It's great stuff .

As far as replicating the vinyle top trim ( upper "A" pillars , lower "C" pillars , and Sail Panel ) , many times I've seen people , hobbyists , cut their own out of sheet styrene ; it's available at the hobby store .

Testors makes vinyle top-textured spray paint . While I haven't used it , I've seen great results from it .

Join the Scale Auto Magazine and Model Cars Magazine online forums. Lots of excellent MoPars there , as well as other makes .

There are a few resin aftermarket guys on ebay that might-just-might make the scoop you're looking for. They're not always listing stuff so it pays to check often.

Got a resin '71 Challenger body there that I'm looking forward to tackling someday.

Ken

There are a few resin aftermarket guys on ebay that might-just-might make the scoop you're looking for. They're not always listing stuff so it pays to check often.

Got a resin '71 Challenger body there that I'm looking forward to tackling someday.

Ken

Thanks for the input.. I am continuing my search.. Its occured to me last night that anyone making a model kit with the hood scoop im looking for, the scoop and hood will all be one piece (time for the dremmel tool LOL) .. at any rate, im getting alot of good input here, and I am getting pretty stoked to start building my model (not as much fun im sure as working on the actual buggy.. but I will get less greasy! LOL) ..

What scoops are you using? The duel scoops or the later one? If it is the 70-71 scoops yo could get AMT 71 Duster kit. It comes with the scoops and I am pretty sure rallyes as well.

What scoops are you using? The duel scoops or the later one? If it is the 70-71 scoops yo could get AMT 71 Duster kit. It comes with the scoops and I am pretty sure rallyes as well.

The later scoop.. the snorkel type is another way I have heard it described.. if you look at the 'project Bills Buggy' thread in the members resto forum i have a picture of the scoop sitting on my hood.. I also did see the 71 Duster kit has the rallye's.. im not sure if any model kits have the scoop im looking for.. I may have to fabricate one LOL

Oh I almost forgot.. I am sure there is more than one model builder on this site.. So I will also need some advice, my Dart will have a black vinyl top.. The model kit makes no provision for this.. Now I can kit bash the vinyl top trim or even just paint the trim on with a very fine brush and a steady hand.. however just painting the roof a matte black will not be enough in my opinion.. it needs to be slightly textured to give it that look of the vinyl... any suggestions on how to accomplish this?

and I imagine the Duster model that I rob parts from (or whatever kit it winds up being yielding the parts I need) will not go to waste.. I will eventually use it (them) to build a 'work in progress' type of model.. lol..
What Ihave done for years is to just use regular masking tape cut into sections like the real roof had . Works very well and I've got several cars I have won in competitions from doing them that way . Try it . Its real simple !!

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 155
  • 001.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 146
  • 004.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 150
Hay buddy. Go to banditresins.com. They have the scoop there. About $4.00.
I picked up 3 of them a while back. It's on the small version of my car.

Attachments

• 100_1402.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 182
Here is my latest one thats close to done . That is painted masking tape on the roof !!!

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 138
  • 006.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 167
I've also had great luck by spraying the paint on at a distance. 1-2 feet
away from the model. It is slightly dry by the time it hits the model. Giving
the texture effect.
Hay speedracerX. Try this website www.moparsinscale.proboards.com and
www.modelcarsmag.com- www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/.
They are great sites. I'm on both. Hope to see ya there.

Thanks.. I will give them a try... I tried that other site you referred me to earlier about the Duser scoop.. but I didnt get anywhere with it.. maybe I entered it wrong.. who knows.. do you have any of those scoop models left?

Hay buddy. Go to banditresins.com. They have the scoop there. About $4.00.
I picked up 3 of them a while back. It's on the small version of my car.

Thanks again for PMing me the corrected link to this site.. this site is awesome.. Not only did they have the Duster scoop I needed (for $4 just like you said) but they also carry one other important piece of the puzzle.. my Dart has a stock flat hood with the duster scoop.. my model is a GTS so it has the bulged hood.. thats not gonna work.. this site has the stock hood available for $6!!! I am actually gonna be able to recreate my Buggy in model form way easier than I thought.. all I need now is a small block LOL . The model kit is a 383 GTS.. My car has a 360 in it.. Now I look for a 340 Duster model to scavange the motor from LOL.. It will be close enough.. this is gonna be a fun project

-
Back